1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

check engine and alt light?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dshirk21, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Dshirk21

Dshirk21 Junior Member
    from ohio

last night while plowing the check engine light and i believe the alternator light came on(parallel lines with a lightning bolt in the middle) i just want to make sure thats what the light is? and i just had the alt and battery checked, both working well...alt is putting out 164amps...what do you guys think the problem is?

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

without knowing what truck you have I have no idea- never seen a light like that - read your owner manual to see what the light is for.

If that is it, again depending on the truck... it could still be the alt going- brushes stick, bearings go, loose connections, .... lots of potential issues.

3. Dshirk21

Dshirk21 Junior Member
    from ohio

its a 03 Ram 2500 hemi with 8'6" boss straight blade...reason for asking is i dont have an owners manual, misplaced it someware along the line.

4. john-boy

john-boy Member

What size alternator do you have on that?? putting out 164 amps is impossible if its a factory alt....usually only a 105 max

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I bet you had been plowing for a while and you were raising or angeling the plow. when the plow has reached it's limits of travel, it will go in to by-pass if you are still trying operate it.
    This will draw more current, as the plow motor has more load on it.
    If you were at the end of your push or at idle your alt is not putting out enough to compensate for the draw. This will cause the cheek engine light and the alt light to come on for an instant.

An alt does not put out it's max until it reaches around 2000 rpm

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  6. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Check and clean your battery connections also check condition of altonator belt and tensioner, check battery with a hydrometer for specific gravity if you can...during a storm while you are plowing you are using more amps than you think (heater/defroster, wipers, lights, emergency lights,and the winner is the plow!!!!!) but the biggest problem is whean you are plowing you're plowing at a low RPM and your altonator cant keep up with it.... next time it happens look at your volts gauge than put the truck in low range and plow for a while in low and you will see the differance in voltage..........:gunsfiring: :eek:

7. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Check and clean your battery connections also check condition of altonator belt and tensioner, check battery with a hydrometer for specific gravity if you can...during a storm while you are plowing you are using more amps than you think (heater/defroster, wipers, lights, emergency lights,and the winner is the plow!!!!!) but the biggest problem is whean you are plowing you're plowing at a low RPM and your altonator cant keep up with it.... next time it happens look at your volts gauge than put the truck in low range and plow for a while in low and you will see the differance in voltage..........:gunsfiring: :eek:

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

With snow plow prep it will have a 135Amp alt or higher. 165amps sounds like the regulator is going- bad sign as it's part of the PCM, but it can be alot of things.
    My rebuild alt I installed last season was tested to 165amps according to the sticker on the case from the rebuild shop. The basic alt on a Dodge is a 120, diesel's and plow prep upgrade to a 135 (or more on a newer truck, I'm not as familier with the 02+ model options) Any alt will crank up the amps when the rectifier inside starts going, BTW- I know of a modification for an on-board welder useing a 90amp junkyard alt....