1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cheapest way to Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 021462, Nov 13, 2002.

1. 021462

021462 Junior Member

Bidding on a commercial property this month and one of the requirements is snow removal. We don't get that much snow here but the past couple of years we have had an unusual amount for some reason. I guess my question is before I go out and rent or buy a bobcat prior to a call for snow would it be cheaper and make more cense to have a plow added to my truck? I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 1500. Another option would be a four wheeler with a plow but I am no sure how well they work. Keep in mind I don't have a lot of properties yet to plow. Thanks ahead for you reponces!

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

How soon do you want to see a payoff?

Used 7.5' plow 1000-1800

Used 4 wheeler 3000-5000 (Don't reccommend)

Rent a skid steer for a day 200 (try to find one in a snow storm though)

My thoughts are the used plow. Be patient and find one with the correct mounts. I paid 1000 for used meyer c8.5 with the correct mounts.

Howard

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would have to agree with a plow unless your need for a skid steer is more,but I would buy not rent one.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If I'm reading your post right, you're bidding for snow "removal". That means taking any snow off the site. You're likely to need a dump truck (at least). Hauling any amount of snow with your Silverado won't get it. I guess I don't get it - How are you going to move the snow if you don't have a plow? With the Bobcat? How big is this property. Usually you'll find it faster using a plow than a Bobcat, but the plow won't help you load it - you'll still need the Bobcat, loader etc.

Maybe you need to pass on this one or figure buying a plow for your truck, renting a Bobcat and arrange for a 10 wheeler?

5. 021462

021462 Junior Member

Mick

Sorry for the cofusion snow removal here just means move it out of the main entrance way to allow traffic to enter and exit. I don't have to actually remove it from the property.

chtucker

I see your point. Seems the used plow is the way to go for me. I guess I need to get to looking one now before I need it. Any thoughts on my truck being able to get the job done? Where to look?

6. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Be sure in your agreement to use the term "removal" only when you plan on removing the snow from site.... "Plowing" is the appropriate term to prevent a legal bind...

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

as far as your truck it's kinda light it was ment more for driving than plowing.I would be concerned about the front end and transmistion coolers and such.PLows check on here for them,and used look in the wants ads .

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ok, kind of thought that after I posted. I'd agree with ceaman if you write contracts. Misunderstandings can cost big. As far as used, I usually advise going with new unless you know what to look for and can do the repairs yourself. Otherwise, you might try Ebay or a car/truck trader magazine. In this area, there are lots of used truck/plow setups on used car lots, on the side of the road for sale and in the newspaper. Main problem is getting the right mount for your truck.

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Your truck should have no problem handling a plow and should have plenty of power. I myself have a 92 Chevy 1500 4x4 with the 350 motor and a Western 7.5ft pro plow and the truck does great. What motor do u have in yours? Even if its the little motor, they are still making good horsepower these days. Mine is a 350 but from 1992 i think it only had 200 horsepower, but she does really well. If i were you, id get a plow for it, but id get a new one not used cause your truck is practically brand new and save some headaches with a new one. If money isnt a problem, id go new, if you cant swing it, then go with a used one. Try to stay away from Meyers, no offense to anyone here who uses one. Try to get a Western or Fisher, or maybe even a Sno-Way. Just my oppinions. Mike

10. 021462

021462 Junior Member

Mike 97 SS,

The motor in mine is the 5.3 V8 Vortec with 285hp.

11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

DAMN, thats alot of power. You should get a plow on there, youll do just fine! Mike

12. long0

long0 Senior Member

One thing to look at before you put a plow on your truck is your warranty. I am assuming you do not have the plow package. You said your truck is a 00', so depending on when you got it and how many miles it has, this might not be an issue, but it is something to consider.

If you are still under warranty, check with your dealer to see if they will work with you if you put a plow on that truck.

Andy