1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cheapest way to beef up my truck?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by birddseedd, Nov 13, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

04 dodge ram. my springs are shot. so far iv found

new springs with an extra leaf 600 bucks

trimrins with my springs 350

any other options? looking to cary 2800 lbs

2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Is it a half ton?:eek:

3. birddseedd

ya. half ton. rated at 1700 lbs adding 2000 rated helper springs will get me up to 3700 lbs. course my springs are bad so drop that down to just under 3000 lbs which is where i need to be.

timerins would get me to 6k lbs. which is only 800 lbs less than waht my engine can even pull :)

but helper springs at 150 seems will be my cheapest option

4. quigleysiding

I have timbrens on my 2500. They work good. You could go with air bags.

5. birddseedd

talked to a buddy of mine. this weekend he'll go to the junk yard with me and see if we can find some springs we can double up on.

but what he was worried about was if my axle will be able to hold the weight.

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

You know what an axle rating is right...?!

Here's the easiest way to beef up your truck...

Attached Files:

7. birddseedd

im not sure what my axle rating is no. i know the gross rated weight is 1700 stock.

8. birddseedd

a buddy of mine is going to go to the junk yard with me. i guess if we can find some good springs we can double them up and might not even need helper springs

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Stop! Just because you can put 1ton style/rated springs doesn't mean you can max it out.

10. birddseedd

8then what else do i need to beef up on the truck?

11. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Purchase a 3/4 or 1 ton with a plow on it since your install and fabrication cards have been revoked.

12. birddseedd

Would be nice to buy a new truck. give me a couple years and my plowing work can pay for it. but for the moment i have to do what i can with what i have. and if what i can do is beef up the suspension in order to carry more weight, which is the only way to enable a truck to handle more weight. then ill do what needs to be done to get the job done.

my axle can hold 3900 lbs. there is about 800-1000 on it now from the truck bed and gas, so it leaves me with 2900 lbs the axle itself can handle. which means i should be able to build up the springs with either more leafs or a spring assist i should be able to carry the weight.

im hoping replacing the springs and adding a leaf will do it as thatl be the cheapest way to go. ill probably also need to add new keys to the front as some of the weight will go on the front.

13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

So your willing to take the risk of killing the only truck you have?

That's close to 1.5 tons. My old 86 F-350, full floating rear, cab and chassis, 12k rating would only haul 1.25 tons.

I don't get it.

14. birddseedd

ill be upgrading the weakest of hte parts. as long as i dont over weight a part i cannot upgrade it shoudl be fine. i will be well within the GAWR of the axel. so the axel will be fine. i will have to upgrade the springs, which isnt that expensive.

15. Holland

Holland Senior Member

You said its rated to haul around 1700.That truck prolly weighs around 5k empty. So it would have a max gvw of around 6700. 5k and your 2900 puts it to almost 8k, which is probably close to what its rated to tow! With towing the weight, you have the weight distributed on a towed vehicle that will have brakes. You'll overstress more than your springs. Your frame is not meant to take it, your brakes are not meant to take it. Dont forget the thing hanging off the front (some of us call it a plow) weighs something too and has to be figured into your gvw as well. Just dont haul so much at one time, simple as that.

16. birddseedd

technically i could actually get a rear end from a 2500 and head down to the dmv to have my truck re-registered with the higher gvwr (edit: im thinking im wrong on this one, im reading both you can and cannot, but reading cannot more than can. but if you cannot. then what is the point in upgrading your suspension. whats the point of a 6000 lb timbrin if you can still only carry 1300 lbs?)

which is probably what ill end up doign before the need to buy a larger truck. only about 700 bucks which really isnt that bad considering what it would do for the truck. unfortunately i just don't have that kind of cash this year.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  17. birddseedd

actualy.... i coudl probably sell my axel for about the same cost.....

18. birddseedd

This is what i dont understand, perhaps you can help me out with it.

my payload rating is 1393. but yet my axle's can hold several times this amount of weight even including the truck itself. it seems if the axle can hold the weight, my tow capasity can hold the weight, the only thing that cannot hold the weight is the springs.

another question you might be able to help me with,,, everyone reccomends the 2500 truck. but even then the payload rating is only a little over 2k lbs. that is still less than the weight of a full laod of salt. what upgrades would you have to do to a 2500 in order to cary the salt?

19. quigleysiding

So are you tying to put a 2 yd sander in a half ton truck ?

20. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Buy some air shocks or those coil over helper shocks, then you'll have a 1 ton truck in a half ton body. BAM.