1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cheapest Strobes ever!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by FisherVMan, Feb 11, 2011.

1. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well not really strobes but certainly the cheapest flashing light .
    A friend had picked up a couple of magnetic based amber strobes; that were those cheapie 3300A models at a yard sale and got the pair of them unworking for $2.................... he gave them to me; and said "are the parts any good to you" ??? They laid around here for a while; and then last week, I took two 100watt Halogen H3 bulbs; and mounted them on a piece of old curcit board that I cut out in a circle to fit inplace of the orginal strobe board and then by just cutting out a hole in the board and holding them down with a large head metal screw; I mounted the H3's. I then hooked them up thru a blinker flasher; that cost a buck; And you cant believe how BRIGHT those things are!!! They blink about every sec and half ; and I am guessing they are at least twice as bright; as the original strobe was to begin with . If you have an old self contained strobe light that is trashed; you might want to try it as I was amazed how effective it really is! I got the bulbs outta china for a dollar each so the total cost for two lights that really work well was $5; so try to match that!:cool:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  2. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

the bulbs will probably blow b/c they aren't rated for flashing, but for $5 who cares ;-)

I think this is usually why wigwags have a longer bright time so they can extend the life of the bulb.

3. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well we will see I have no idea how long they will last; but they have been in use now for a couple of storms and they seam to be holding up just fine; but I had the same suspicion as well ???? I compared them to a Federal Firebolt Plus strobe[2 joules from memory] with a red lens I had laying around the other day,and testing during the day time; and there was NO comparison the amber flashing light was much much brighter and more noticeable in daylight.
    I dont know about wig wags either; as I have had very very poor luck with them; as I used to try to do my head lights on the tractor; and could never get a full season outta them; and they quite working . The flashers seam to last forever; but how long the little Chinese bulbs will stand the on and off is anyone guess?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  4. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

I had a pair of lights on my roof rack on an old truck that i wired to a wigwag setup and they lasted through a few car shows before i fried them ;-)

time will tell but i love the idea of using the flasher. Thumbs Up

i am still trying to figure out the best thing to replace my amber spinner on my roof for next season. :confused:

5. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Do you have a video for us?! I'd be curious to see that set up!

6. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

subscribed!

7. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

No but I will try and take a quick video as it is really amazing how darn bright this thing is !