1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cheapest/ best buy on salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ibuildcars4u, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ibuildcars4u

ibuildcars4u Junior Member
    from ohio

i am looking for around 0 degree 50 lb bags of salt. i need to know what the best brand/price of salt to get for my new spreader. holds number 1 salt. , best ive found is traction melt, 50 lb bags , 50 bags for $450. i think this is a little high, want somewhere around $4 to $7 a bag for 0 degree, dont need it to go into the negatives unless its a good price. thank you for your time
  2. ibuildcars4u

ibuildcars4u Junior Member
    from ohio

boy no suggestions, anybody use ice management here?:help: :help:
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

its only been a few hours since you posted, a lot of NE guys are still out plowing from the storm and i'm sure the Midwest guys are sleeping in after their battles the other night.
  4. I got Winter melt

I use winter melt.....i think that it says its good to 5 degrees....heres the link http://www.cargillsalt.com/deicing/dc_salt_deicing_wintermelt.htm I pay 3.34 for a 50lb bag or i think 173.94 per skid of 49 bags. (tax is included in that)....it seems to work good. I am happy with it! I buy it from Chulski's Salt service in Marne, MI ( 5 miles west of Grand Rapids) 616-677-1700
  5. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

I just picked up a new supply the other day, same price. (no mystery there)
    I hope its your math thats wrong. Now I need to refigure mine, I figured 3.55 per bag tax incl.
    Glacier Melt which is good to -25 is only 6.70 per bag tax included.
  6. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Where in Ohio are you located??? I get can buy a pallet of 50 pounders for $105 here.
  7. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I use Quad Release for sidewalks. Effective to -12F and in 50# bags for $7.49 a bag if you buy a pallet of 49 bags. Works really well through a tailgate spreader and a sidewalk spreader. I buy mine through Green Velvet sod farms in Bellbrook OH. The label says friendly for concrete and landscaping but I don't really know.
  8. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

Liesure Lawn distributes a product called enviromelt that is a little cheaper than the quad release mentioned in the previous post.
  9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

We get the Saf T Salt brand here. the typical yellow bags with the black stripes on them. We are paying $176.40 (plus tax) for the 50# pallets, and $129. for the 80# pallets. There was someone on here from Lansing I saw that was paying only about $3 per bag for the %0's. I wish I could find that around here for that.
  10. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

I work at a Royster Clark in SE MI. We deal mainly with agricultural products. We do sell ice melt however. It would probably sell for around $350 a pallat (ton). We also sell bulk potash for ice melt to some local hardware stores. That runs about $270 a ton or so. This ice melt is very friendly to sidewalks and grass.
  11. Ian

Ian Member

Shop around, prices do very.

Meldrum Bros., 23 Mile and I-94 (north of Detroit).

Salt 50# $3.10 ($152.00 pallet) 49 bags.
    Salt 80# $4.50 ($135.00 pallet) 30 bags.
    Knox 50# $7.45 ($312.90 pallet) 42 bags.
    Blizzard 50# $8.35 ($334.00 pallet) 40 bags.
    Avalanche 50# $13.00 ($650.00 pallet) 50 bags.
    Peladow 50# $12.25 ($686.00 pallet) 56 bags.

Salt by the yard, $57.50

..and they do deliver to Flint (at a price).
  12. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Wow , I should try some of the stuff you guys are using. I am paying $13.00 per bag for calcium chloride flakes 50lb. bags by the pallet load. I would love to find something that actually works for 3-4 bucks a bag. I'm going to check my supplier for that Halite stuff.
  13. Predator63

Predator63 Junior Member

firstclasslawn, where is your business based at? 10 mile and m-37? Just wondering if your the one I see....
  14. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

The product from Cargill is +90% rock salt (sodium chloride).
  15. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

Glacier Melt is +90% rock salt w/less than 5% of calcium chloride mixed, to allow them to claim it will melt to -25 F. The only part of that bag that will melt to -25 F., is less then 5%.
  16. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

Environmelt = +90% rock salt
  17. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

Halite = generic name for rock salt - sodium chloride. Stay with the calcium chloride. You are actually using a quality product. 77-78% active ingrediant.