1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap Way to Buy/Setup a Salt Spreader for my trailer hitch?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lindenwood, Jul 19, 2010.

1. lindenwood

lindenwood Junior Member

What is the cheapest way to setup a spreader for my trailer hitch on my truck. I need to be able to attach it to my trailer hitch.

Please email: blattnerm@hotmail.com

Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

SnoEx had a salter with an easy hook up to the trailer hitch.

3. Subicbay

Subicbay Junior Member

I have used a snow EX tailgate salter. They work very well and 1 guy can put it on and off very easily. I may be selling mine this year if interested.

4. SServices

SServices Senior Member

My meyer 36000, lookin at about $350.00 what you see in the pic......... Is it snowin yet?

IMG00089.jpg

IMG00090.jpg

5. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Ive had good results with snoex as well

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, really? Those 2 bolts and a piece of angle hold that thing alright when it starts bouncing? Remind me never to drive behind you... :eek:

To answer the OP's question, the Snowex 575 is well respected as an entry level salt spreader, they come with the hitch mount, harness, and controller. You'll be spreading salt within an hour of opening the box, and it will pay for itself in the first 1-2 storms.

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I was going to post the same thing! :eek::eek::eek:

I would not even trust that empty.

8. SServices

SServices Senior Member

I just repainted it and put it on the truck to make sure everything worked. I made two bars that go to the stake pockets to keep it from bouncing,its solid. There are 5 gussets on the angle iron to stiffen it up. Plus the bolts are grade 8. Been running this for 2 years no problems. Less weight means more salt

9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Hey man, as long as it works and doesn't go anywhere. From your pics, it looks like a lot of stress right at the point where the 2 bolts are, with all of the weight behind it.

10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I have a snow ex hitch mount, if you want it. I was gonna scrap it for the .25$ I was gonna get for it but I'll give it to you for a dollar! Jk take it!

11. SServices

SServices Senior Member

Just showing an example of a hitch setup. It works for what I do.

12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I just took a scotts 1000 spreader, got my trusty stick welder out, and made up a few brackets out of 10 gauge steel. It slides right in the hitch like it was made for it. I have a young kid ride on the tailgate, and have him keep dumping salt into the spreader. If the salt bridges up a bit, and doesn't want to come out right, I just have the kid kick it a few times. It's like I spent 300 dollars for one of them fancy viberators I hear you guys talking about all the time. This year since the kid has been complaining about being cold, I decided to build some 4 foot tall side boards around the spreader so I can put more salt down without stopping the truck. That way he can keep his hands in the pockets of his sweatshirt and not have them hanging out in the wind and snow as often. I am hoping to be able to put about 1,000 pounds of salt in each load. Well I have to go start fabricating, snow is just around the corner.

13. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

:jester: xysport

14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

how does the spinner turn?

15. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

The kid! :yow!: