1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cheap walkway spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Dec 8, 2000.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I am looking for a cheap walkway spreader to spread calcium cloride or salt on walkways. It only needs to last a year, so they cheaper it is the better. On line stores? Retail store? Where would you guys go.

Geoff

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

Home Depo, True Value, Lowes and others stores like them. Might be less than $30

3. landscaper3

4. GeoffD

Brand or model of choice?

Geoff

5. landscaper3

No particular brand just get a ajustable type

6. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I'd look into a cheap scotts broadcast spreader, I've used one for a few years to spread salt and sand/salt mix, i've washed it out at the end of the season and use it for fertilizing during the rest of the year. John Parker uses the scotts ones also. You can get them at Home Depot, Lowe's, wal-mart,etc. Most places will sell them.

hope this helps,

Bryan

7. RB

RB Senior Member

Cheap Spreader

For a cheap spreader try a Scotts broadcast spreader. About $35 and worth it. The only problem I've had is the small spinner agitator pin breaking. Buy about 25 small cotter pins to use for agitators and remember to hose it out after each use and it will work fine.

But, for those who need the best broadcast spreader for sidewalks and store fronts -- remember the PrizeLawn Bigfoot HVO -- simply the best!

8. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Geoff,

The scotts spreader at home depot, $35.00, handle folds for easy storage, gears are sealed. Replace cotter pin with spring loaded retaining pin. They also have the hand held ones for those quickies, $9.00.

Mark

9. Lanelle

Lanelle Member

We use broadcast spreaders on sidewalks. To keep the chemical from going beyond the edge of the walk, we put handmade side baffles on the bottom, near the spinner. Saves product and keeps it where you wanted it.

10. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

I have done as Lanelle,Used a large coffee can take the bottem out and split the side,bend in or out to adjust.

11. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Geoff,

We just bought 4 'Virgo'brand broadcast spreaders at Home Depot for $28 a piece. They hold about 50 lbs of material, have a spread flow controller, solid plastic wheels and are cheap. They work okay, but sometimes spread material onto the grass on 4' sidewalks. Perfect for one year, maybe more.

12. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

lesco has one for $40 seems good enough to get couple years out of, have'nt used it yet no weather here. bought one 3 yrs ago at lowes, cheap- $24.00 still going strong. only used for walks.

13. GeoffD

Well I was going to buy 4 Virgro Home Depot spreaders. However I bought 2 "commercial grade" spreaders also sold at the home depot. I spent the extra money for the commercial ones, because of bigger capacity, better tires, and drive train.

We will see how they work out, very soon I am sure.

Geoff

14. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

As I was putzing around in the garage today I came up with a modification for the scotts spreader. I was reading all the other mods. in this post but was looking for something without sharp edges. I had a few pieces of vinyl sofit laying around from a porch I did. Anyway I cut a piece the width of the side of the hopper, attached it with a few sheet metal zip screws & washers through the nailing slots. Then I cut the piece of vinyl between the nailing slots making the slots longer and allowing the vinyl to slide back and forth to adjust from walk to drives. It ain't pretty but I think it'going to work. My wife is about ready to commit me because I was walking up & down the street testing it on the neighbors walks & drives................ I got too much time on my hands. I NEED SOME SNOW!!!!!

15. MJ

MJ Senior Member

Thanks for the tips. Been wondering how I could spread salt better where my drive meets the road. Went to Home Depot today (25 mile trip) and got a VIRGO spreader for $29.95. Spread some calcium chloride today since we're expecting rain/ice tonight. Works great.

Now we need snow.

Mick