1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cheap walkbehind snow blower, your thought

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rich414, Feb 3, 2011.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Just got an e-mail from northerntools.com for this snowblower Item# 19456
    $1100.00 delivered.

POS or good deal????
  2. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

POS for sure
  3. Freebird

Freebird Member

Yardworks is an MTD owned company. For a similar price you can purchase an Ariens machine or a Toro that will have far better quality. Also some Husqvarna and non-commercial grade Simplicity are in that price range. Unless you are desperate I wouldn't take it.
  4. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  5. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have a 24" Yardman that works better then my 36" Ariens commercial. Best part is I got it during our snow meeting as a last minute purchase from a friend for $180. Just me but I'd rather buy two cheap 28" off e-bay/craigslist if you need the 2stages. There all roughly built the same with cheap motors.
  6. Dakota Dave

Dakota Dave Member

I have the MTD that I bought in 1997. It's used normal wear parts. Belts , friction drive,chain and sprockets, axle bushings and shear pins. Overall its work well and is very simple.
  7. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

It is a toss up for me

I do 55-60 residentials with 2 Ariens and a Cub Cadet.The one Ariens is a 32" commercial and the other is a 24" homeowner.The cub is the 33" professional.The metal chute is the best IMO over the plastic.The easy steer of the cub is superior over the Ariens IMO.The Ariens has come apart on me while accidentally shifting on the fly so to speak.The cub (MTD) cannot come apart by the design of it.The cub has a 16" chute vs the Ariens 14".Both are 13 HP which is necessary for the deeper drifts caused by the snoplows.Auger belt replaement is a little tougher on the cub because of a retainer on the bottom of the pulley.The Ariens uses a double belt for the auger which is better in a commercial nvironment.Both use a whimpy 3/8" drive belt.Side by side the Ariens will be a bit faster due to the turning time of the chute.Handle is right on top with just a flip vs the cub bend over and hand crank.I had to file a couple of extra notches in th chute plate of the cub to get a few extra degrees of turn.Running in chunky icy snow will eventually break the chute retainers on the cub so have extras.My blowers are all 2007 and they have done approx 30 events so about 1500 - 1700 drives for the 3 blowers which equates to alot of years already.Anywhere from 3"-24" storms.I am looking to add more to have as spares and am up in the air as to which brand.Both have their plusses and minuses.A combo of the two would be a great machine,but neither is ideal for my situations.
  8. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

The winters almost over, if your in need now, I'd check craigslist for something used. That'd be the cheapest way to go. I went that route on my single stage and I'm glad I did. It's definately paid for itself by now.