1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cheap salt at last at last

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by greenacres2010, Jan 21, 2011.

1. greenacres2010

greenacres2010 Junior Member

salt prices are high seems to me, well haul bill anyways. Been paying $81 for salt per ton and $40 per ton for haul. This winter I've purchased $40,000 in salt and yesterday the best thing happened,one of my buddies is the main boss at one of the areas underground mines and he called and told me to come get salt FREE!!!!!!!! So i went with the 450 dump and picked up 6 tons,the salt is finer than table salt though from were they get the salt out of their water so I mixed it with our rock salt got to try it last night and it did awesome. Sending a tandem down Monday to pick up a load and all it gonna cost is $300,Beats 3 grand for a load:redbounce
  2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i preordered 40tons at 68per ton at the beginning of the season. although our prices are much better here b/c we have the mines and docks about 10min from where i live.
  3. AJ 502

AJ 502 Senior Member

I watched The Godfather again a couple of weeks ago.
    I got a visual reading this. I can only imagine how this looked mixing the 2 with a Bobcat or Loader. lol.

Glad to hear you have a good friend. Its nice when things work out unexpectedly.
  4. greenacres2010

greenacres2010 Junior Member

This isn't salt mine, it's coming from the coal mines,the epa shut em down when they let the water into streams the fish were dying from the salt in the water so they have to get the salt out and its trash to them so my buddy is gonna hook me up with it, We are paying $121 per ton delivered having to truck it so far. only thing is this salt is powder and won't run thruogh spreader uless it's mixed with coarse salt but if I can turn 25 ton into 50=cha ching
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats a great combo! Send some my way.
  6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Two thoughts...

1. Nice deal, but kinda surprised you're advertising it.

2. You put 6 tons in a 450?!? Really??

7. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

that is one heavy 450 we have a f550 with 19,000 gvrw and it has a 4ton salt spreader on it and when u drive it loaded feels like the tires are gonna pop on every bump
    that being said they are raping you forr that salt price
  8. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Exactly--I ran 5 tons in a 19,500 550 on several occasions...and it did not enjoy it.