1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap Plow, Expensive Now

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by SStephanuik, Nov 13, 2010.

1. So I own a tree service and decided since the winter is slow and have the means I would buy a plow. I looked into a couple new plows and didn't want to pay $4000+ to put a plow on a $3000 truck. So I shopped around and found a deal on a '08 or '09 snow dogg ex80. Great looking plow, lightly used with all wiring, control, mount for a f250. I have a c3500 Gmc 2wd dually. Picked up plow cheap and later that day went to my local shop to buy a truck mount. In the meanwhile I got the wiring mostly run and alot of regular maintenance on the truck so everything will be ready when the snow flies. Got mount in a few days later and took it home to mount up. Mount did not line up to any holes on the frame and I do not have a crossmember for that mount to bolt to. Not a problem. Returned the frame and ordered the only other one that snow dogg currently makes for that year truck. This mount is for an HD, even though I know it is not an HD truck I just thought maybe this would be the ticket. NOPE. This time took the mount and truck to the shop and they took some pictures of my frame to send out to snowdogg. The engineers there took a look at my frame and decided I did have the correct mount and that they would send the shop some pics of how they got theirs to work. Can anyone say fabrication work. Basically they cut apart the entire frame system and started from pieces. Local shop was a great help and the engineers at snowdogg worked quickly to respond to the shop and myself. Problem is I have a cab and chassis truck. It has a 10' dump bed on it. Apparently GMC had to make a different frame for every truck in that year. SOOOOO I started to cut apart my brand new truck mount tonight. Lucky for me I have torches and a miller welder at the house so I can fab everything up and finish weld at my dads shop with a big tig welder. Since Snowdogg is a fairly new company they haven't gotten to all frame models on trucks yet. Even the shop owner said only Western makes a frame mount for that truck. This should be fun and I am hoping to make everything functional by Tuesday this coming week. Good thing I have a couple days off. I used to do some plowing for my father-in-law so I know how well I can do this winter once everything is working but I guess I am blessed with having to work alittle harder to make this damn thing work. I guess no matter how much you do your homework and check out what products will work with what there is always something. Almost want to just go buy the f250 that my original truck mount would fit. So really this hasn't gotten expensive yet, even with the plow and $500 mount I haven't spent 2500 but if this isn't done in the next week and the snow flies I will be watching my investment while I shovel my own driveway. Ha. I have really found the whole journey comical, just hope it is also profitable.

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

So your title is just slightly misleading. I hope everything works out for you.

3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I bought an old Meyer poly plow for my skid and had to buy a mounting plate, hydraulic hoses and had to fab up everything myself. I'm not complaining.

If you had done a little research before you bought the plow, maybe you would have gone with a Western since they make a suitable mount for your truck.

Also, paragraphs were invented for a reason.