1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap Lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Our hydroseeder has been doing municipal road work. When attached to the truck, it blocks the strobes on the truck. It had no lighting on it to warn traffic, so I mounted these lights. They are on the same circuit. You turn on the switch, and the rotator comes on. I wired in a flasher to the inexpensive marker lights to make them flash when the rotator is on. Total cost (less the used rotator) was about $15.

Here they are off (with the rotator on).

~Chuck

hydroseederlights.jpg

2. Chuck Smith

from NJ

And here they are lit.

~Chuck

hydroseederlights2.jpg

3. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

very impressive. safety all the way

4. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

As usual, Chuck it looks like you are on top of things and very cost alert.
    The high dollar items are nice and all but a little imagination and forethought make $$$ sense.

Bruce

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck FYI, they also have flashing bulbs for those exact same marker lights.

Geoff

6. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Chuck, looks like you're quite the engineer.
    Great idea,
    Mark K

7. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Geoff, I didn't know they had flashing bulbs available. I standardized all our trucks and trailers with these same markers from Peterson Manufacturing (PM). I have plenty of HD flashers on hand, plenty of PM lights and lenses. This set up just made sense. During the day, the lights are not the brightest, but suffecient. As it gets darker earlier now, and overcast more often (it seems) the lights are very visible. We actually get the lights and replacement lenses in Maine for less than half of what we pay here. I think the price tags on the lights say "Bob's" on them. I will be adding the same lights with a flasher to our skid steers next. Strobes would be nice, but considering the cost, and the amount of moisture and fertilizer involved with the hydroseeder, the lifespan of the power unit would be quite short.

~Chuck

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck, let me guess, Bob's discount rout 1 wiscasset.

Geoff