1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cheap light option

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by docsgmc, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

after the stock lights literally broke apart, I went with LED lights a $72 fix
    They give off a ton of light and are made well.I also put a set on my back rack as reverse lights. they where $36 free shipping amazon.

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

better put some blinkers on that plow or DOT is going to have a field day with you

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Gonna blind every person coming at you with LED flood lights. Also willing to bet those are not DOT approved.

4. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

blinkers are in the works as for DOT not much of a problem for me. wink wink

5. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

Wink wink, Just because DOT may not bother you, does not mean you are not bothering others. Signals and proper lights equal high fives.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I have those lights on my backrack, if I passed someone with 4 of them facing forward mounted on a plow Id open hand smack you.

7. xgiovannix12

Yea I bet they would blind upcoming traffic

8. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

wow ruff crowd . I guess I should buy the over price crap lights just because it's DOT approved and it may be more friendly to the other guys on the road. I am guessing you guys have just the required amount of lights according to the DOT Manuel. No LED or strobe lights . No Exstra fog lights . Just plain Jane plow trucks. My thoughts are the more the better. Not once in my last plow settion did I get on coming traffic flashing there high beams at me or the guy in front of me adjusting his rear view mirror becaus I was blinding him. I can tell you this when I had my OEM lights I was constantly getting flashed at becaus the crap lights that came with the plow would move up after plowing the parking lot. I cheked them out first to make sure I was not blinding people on the road. Safety first.

9. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

Why do you have them on your back rack? And I know you wouldn't slap anyone. The Internet brings out all the tuff guys.

10. kimber750

Have a plow guy running around here with a led light bar mounted between his plow lights so I know how blinding those lights can be. And you are not adding extra lights or fog lights, you have added something that is most likely illegal to use on the roads. But you want to criticize others for having warning lights for safety? Or think that factory or even after market fog lights, which are most likely DOT legal, are the same as 1500+ lumen flood lights aimed at oncoming traffic? By all means do as you wish but don't be surprised when some point out what you are doing may be hazardous to others.

These would be about same price and DOT legal. Just a bit of wiring which I would guess you would of had no problem figuring out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wagner-Halo...ght-/161645752524?hash=item25a2d670cc&vxp=mtr

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ben is a big boy. I bet he could pull it off even without the internet.

Your light bar is fine to use on private property but if you use it on the road you deserve what happens to you/it.

12. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

I Am a U.S. Veteran Served in Fallujah Iraq and 15 years with the Fdny. All you need is a good camera .I don't care how big he is silver bracelets will be on him. You don't like the lights pay $300 for stock ones. You don't like my set up that's cool .
    I paid $72 and they will probably break in a year but it's better then $300 .

13. xgiovannix12

Ill laugh when someone comes in your lane at night because your blinding them :D Not a laughing matter but it could happen bud

14. kimber750

So saving $228 is worth risking other people on the road? Most people have a hard enough time driving in bad weather, add in blinding them with flood lights is a receipt for disaster. Any idea what the fine would be for using non-DOT lights? I would guess it close to that amount you saved.

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I still like that there's no turn signals.

16. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

My buddy has a brand new boss plow .he hit one manhole cover and the lights went out. Is that safe? Now he had to plow with no lights. I bet you in another year there will be led direct replacment lights.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
  17. THEGOLDPRO

I'm not doubting stock lights suck in most cases, but these lights are just stupid to run forward facing, anyone who thinks running led FLOOD lights as head lights are either stupid or have no respect for others. so which is it?

18. BDT

BDT Junior Member

This idea will not distinguish itself in the annals of engineering history. Your solution is both illegal and unsafe, and ignores the fact that there are inexpensive aftermarket light assemblies.

19. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

is there a third choice?

20. THEGOLDPRO

3rd choice, too poor to buy real plow lights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.