1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap electric winch?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Zach, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Zach

Zach Senior Member

Im going to need a winch if I put a snow plow on my ATV. What I would like to do is mount a winch on the plow then hook the cable to my brushguard (it would be easier since the plow wont permanently be on)

All I want is an inexpensive electric winch, doesnt have to be that power full 2-400 lbs.??

Will harbor freight tools, pepboys, hardware store or something like that have these?
    If I could get any help on where to find one that would be great, thanks!

2. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

i used a 2000lb hampton towing winch from walmart for $100 on my recon for a year worked good but now i have a viper max 3000lb (ebay) reliable winch good customer service. for just a plow i would get a cheap winch but you really cant get a winch under 1500lbs.

3. pby98

pby98 Member

harbor freight around here has a 3000 lb i beleive for 110 aand a 2000lb for 60. i have not used these personally but my guess would be that they are not very reliable. and plus if your mounting it to the plow what you really need is a actuator

4. pby98

pby98 Member

also i dont know your price range but i have a 2000lb superwinch that i got for around 150 that is very reliable and a 2500 viper max that is very reliable this one was about 190

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

like i said in the other post. harbor freight. 2000lb winch. it served me very good. it pulled better and had more speed then my 3000lb warn winch. I would recommend the winch to anyone. You can mount it on your front rack and use it if you ever get stuck. just need a fairlead. you put one of those winches that go on the plow on there and there pretty slow.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91727

6. Zach

Zach Senior Member

that seems like my best bet. I could have sworn that I saw a $30 winch in a Harbor Freight ad a while ago... it wasnt that strong but it would have been perfect for a plow.

anyway, Im liking the idea of the 2000lb Harbor Freight one.

7. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

Be carefull gettting a winch with little weight capacity, you'd be surprised how heavy the blade gets when snow starts to stick to it.

8. Zach

Zach Senior Member

couldn't be more than 2000 lbs.:eek::D:D:D just messin with you. I think Ive pretty much eliminated the option of a small cheap one... it just makes sense tto pay a little more for a really good one I can use all year round.

9. Elwer Lawn Care

if you could get 2000lbs of snow on a blade, i'd like too see it lol

10. Zach

Zach Senior Member

:D lol thatd be the day

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

and in the pics of your quad. in the little opening that is like 1ft x 1ft just in the middle of both lights but below them would be a perfect place to put the winch. make your own brackets and stuff. Isnt the recons air cooled?

12. Zach

Zach Senior Member

yeah, the recons are air-cooled, so there is PLENTY of room for a winch.

13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya cool so no radiator to worry about. a piece of angle iron and a welder you would be set. unless you went on ebay and found the proper mount kit for a warn winch. my old quad with the harbor freight winch the holes lined up with the ones on the warn mount. depends on how you want to do it.

14. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

you could mount it to the frame rails behind the lights with u bolts or you can mount it to the front rack but be careful with that the racks can only hold a couple hundred pounds before they start breaking so it is ok for a plow but not to pull you out of the mud

15. Zach

Zach Senior Member

How sturdy would using U-bolts on the frame be? my friend said He would help weld a mount but he wants me to pay hime like 40 bucks! WTF?

16. Elwer Lawn Care

just go by a mount then, will be slightly more depending on model and will be easy to install

17. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

go on ebay. the mount for my old quad I got was only $15 and it came with a fairlead. ubolts are what holds my plow mount.

18. Zach

Zach Senior Member

Just got back from Harbor Freight. Got a 2000 lb winch on sale for $50 :D and I got a mounting plate for $15, but I'm not sure how to mount the plate to the frame, any suestions???

19. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

any pics of the plate???

20. Zach

Zach Senior Member

Heres what I got for pics... the mounting plate is basicly 1/4" pate with 2 bends and some holes drilled.

1120081717.jpg

1120081724.jpg