1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap Effective Equipment

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mdhaun, Feb 17, 2007.

1. mdhaun

mdhaun Junior Member

I am going to be clearing snow from my own 3 car residental drive way and probably doing some of the neighbors driveways too. I am looking for something relitivley cheap to start out with. I often see people using Sthil or Echo bacback blowers for snow. Do these work well? Would a cheap snow blower be better? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You can't go any cheaper than a shovel. Backpack blowers will only work for dry powdery snow. You should decide if you need a 2 stage or can get by with a single stage for you snow conditions locally. I use a Toro CCR 2000 that is from 1989? It is a single stage and the only thing I have done with it is replace the rubber paddles, drive belt and run fresh gas / oil mix. Go with a good recommended brand and you won't be stuck durring a storm.
    Post the size of your driveways and the depth and type of your usually snowfall.
  3. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Cheap Effective Equipment?

The Suggestions are Good but I live in Central Maine & strongly Suggest YOU locate a Good Used 2 stage snow blower most dealers will have several to Chose from a small snow fall is OK w/ a Small Blower but even a Wet small Depth snow will cause You Problems! where as a Good Used Two Sage Toro or Simular Make will Get the Job Done even in deep Wet snow falls & I have One Customer that the front Walk is near the Highway & the Highway Plow fills the Walk way Up every Pass I have an Older Sears Blower that still Blows Snow as Good as It Did New! & its the Only Walk I Do! it works Great & only takes Me a few Minutes! which is a few Bucks Extra! & another few weeks! early Spring i s the Best Time to Buy ONE! Ole Tower