1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap, Close Fisher Paint Match

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MRBachand, Nov 1, 2009.

1. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Home depot sells oil based rustoleum 'Sunburst Yellow' which is very close to fisher, if it had a splash of red in it, to make it more orangey, it would be perfect.

Its cheap at 8 bux a quart and they also sell spray bombs to match.

I just painted mine up as I do every year, and it looks fantastic.
  2. stillen

stillen Senior Member

well.... lets see the pics :)
  3. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Sure! Here ya go!

I bought this 4 years ago and it was rendered junk by everyone.... Holes in the face of the plow, rotted to ****, and neglected fleet plow.. Hey made it cheap. Every year it gets better now.

FOr comparison the lift arm triangle is facory FIsher color.

The pictures make it look really bright yellow, but it looks alot closer to color in person.... Its still tacky as I painted it a few hours ago.

Painted Plow 001.JPG

Painted Plow 002.JPG

Painted Plow 003.JPG

Painted Plow 004.JPG
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  4. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Here is what it looked like last night.

Halloween  - Plow 006.JPG

Halloween  - Plow 007.JPG

Halloween  - Plow 008.JPG

Halloween  - Plow 009.JPG
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have used that in the past as well, I was very pleased with the results.
  6. strawhead

strawhead Junior Member

Nice job on the paint! Looks like factory color to me....
    Is that your helper in the picture??

7. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

Is that resin/fiberglass u put on the mold board ??
  8. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

I have used fiberglass and Bondo over the years, both with flawless results.

You can make out the plate I had to weld in the center, it wasn't pretty, but it works. Although my 9''er is alot heavier now.

The majority of the body filler was fiberglass, but I did alot of smaller fills with bondo.

I also had to weld a new plate on the top, as that was pretty much non existent. I think PO had a sno-foil and never washed this thing after storms...

I rolled the front, and sprayed (spray gun) the back.. Cut it a tad with Acetone for sprayer. And as mentioned, picked up a few rattlebombs of the color also, for easy touch-ups.

I noticed 2 cracks where the ram supports meat the mold board by the outer trip springs (hidden behind them)

I never noticed them before... Might as well weld them now that I know they are there...

Yep, thats the helper! Phrase of the day, "No touching!"

It'll look like ass by Spring (Hopefully!! :) But this is part of my yearly prep. Can't stop the rust, only slow it down.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  9. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

i too have used this paint
  10. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I ave used the sunburst yellow also but i only use apaw marking paint at ace hardware, cheap and looks new after 2 years. ill take a few pics soon....
  11. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

It dries quite a bit more orangey than the pix I took. There is a factory fisher across the street from me, and they look almost the same. Prepping my lift arm triangle now.... I got in too deep, its taking me forever.... Everything I do makes the surrounding areas look like crap.... So they come off and so on and so forth........... And with daylight savings, by the time I come home I get an hour or so.......... just to expose it to salt/sand/slush as its primary purpose.... OH well, nothing like rolling into the first storm looking fresh I guess.
  12. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I have a MM2 lift arm that is a spare, all primed and painted, looks like new, you should give your MM1 and updated look...!..hint hint
  13. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Not sure they are compatable?
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The blade looks a little heavy for that Jeep.....
  15. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

A lot of people put them on, pretty sure they fit right on
  16. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I'm 99% sure they are interchangeable.
  17. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

LOL! I forgot what thread I was reading and had to go back to the pictures to see the jeep with a plow... Thats funny Cor! Now you know why it hangs so low!

BTW, I also found out that my A-Frame has a slight arc to it, The only thing that stopped it from bending in half is those 1/2 plate re-inforcements that run inside the channel.

I ended up cutting 1 1/2" off my stops. That solved that problem. What i did was lift the plow until it was bottoming out on the stops, then laid a 2x4 on the angle of the a-frame, hit it with red spray paint leaving 2 lines being the perfect angle so both sides of the stops, that are now cut, hit the a-frame at the same time, at the proper angle.

I'm going to try going back to the bottom hole once its all re-assembled... she's in pieces.

Turned out to be an overhaul...........
  18. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Some more....

Plow Progress 001.JPG

Plow Progress 002.JPG

Plow Progress 003.JPG

Plow Progress 004.JPG

Plow Progress 005.JPG
  19. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

good job. looks much better!!!