1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap Cheap Cheap!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PrecisionS&I, Nov 4, 2014.

1. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

So today I got a call from a friend who plows in a different county than me. He tells me a friend of his has a property in my neck of the woods and would I be interested in bidding it. He tells me that its a good sized lot that they get $9000k per month for plow, walks, salt and sidewalk icemelt. I told him sure send me the info. He sent me the address and didn't think anything of it until I plugged it into Google maps. It was a property that I bid back in June for a local management co. My price was slightly higher than the current offering. I was $17,700 more a month. WTF. how can guys stay in business. Not to mention my price was before I knew salt was 62% higher this year. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Almost 20k a month!? were you bidding a city?

3. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

My bid was 26,700/month. Large All Inclusive shopping center.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Pixs or ban.

5. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Yes, pics please:popcorn:

6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, i wanna see what a 27K/month prop looks like. Mall of America size?

7. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I find it hard to believe you guys don't think they're lots like that.

9. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Exactly! Considering guys will post a one acre lot and say they wouldn't touch it for less thank $150 per push.

10. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

I would charge 9k per month for 12 months. I am assuming the contract is 6 months so 9k is very cheap. How much snow do you get? Any more than 30 inches and your not making any money. On the other hand 27k seems a little high to me unless you get over 70 inches per year. That site in our area would go for 125k per year all in and we get about 55-65 inches of snow.

11. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

We get 65 inches a year. The site is 27 acres of pavement plus sidewalks.

Salt and icemelt included in price. and that 5 month billing.

12. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

So your numbers are close I think. I bid a site a little smaller this year for 120k. Didn't get it because if the same reason. There is someone out there that going to do it for half.

13. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Wow! Thats a big lot. Can you stack on site, or do you have to truck it all away?

14. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Just wondering where in Ohio do you average 65" a year?

15. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Very intersesting, My cities one mall asked me for a bid & I turned it down cause I dont got the equipment or knowledge to bid that big yet, but this thread gives me a lil bit more knowledge about bigger lot prices, my mall has just over 20acres of pavement.

16. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Summit & Portage counties Ohio. Lake, Geauga and Ashtabula counties get a lot more than that.

17. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Stow Ohio may have got 65" of snow last year but no way do they get that on average, more like 40. You are still 15 miles south of the "snow belt" there.

I grew up in that area, worked about three miles away from that lot at Americhem.

I live in Holland, Mi now and we average like 70" per year and we get waaayyy more snow than what we did in the Falls - just less traffic enforcement.

It seems to me that the more snow you average, the less dollar per hour you get and 9k for that in our area seems too low but 27k seems way high. Is your buddy plowing in the Twinsburgh / Solon area that is in the snow belt and getting 30" more per year than you are?

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'll tell you what my friend, your pretty damn close to what I was coming up with! Excluding Hobby Lobby. 9k is not even reasonable! I figured 2 loaders with at least a couple different size push boxes and a couple trucks would be there for a good 4-5 hours on a good night. PASS,lol
    I will add I based my numbers on 7 pushes and 10 saltings a month

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  19. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Nice. My wife's hometown is Geneva/Madison area. I was just curious

20. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Yes you are correct We plow in 4 Counties from right against the lake down to Akron. Stow's annual snow fall average is 55 and 10 miles to the north in Twinsburg, Aurora, Solon area its 65 and 15 miles north west of that its 50 inches so we don't really base our pricing on inches we base pricing on events. I think last year we had 85 inches. About 5 years ago we had 106 inches.