1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chattering when hubs are locked

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselboy01, Jul 1, 2014.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

When I lock the manual hubs on my '02 F-250 and drive at slow (or any) speed the truck vibrates and I hear a "grinding" noise. It's not like a u-joint sound. It sounds like something slipping over a spline, like the little stopper on the wheel of fortune. This is just with the hubs locked, not shifted into 4wd.

With the hubs locked I tried to turn the front drive shaft to see if both hubs were engaged and the drive shaft didn't rotate.

I pulled the diff cover and everything inside looked good, nothing loose and no teeth broken.

All the u-joints looked good, rusty but no play.

Now I'm wondering if it's something in the hubs or maybe something in the t-case.

Any thoughts?

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

things could be makes the same sound Axle joint Front drive shaft or Factory Ford lock outs

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if the universals are rusty, they probably are bad. they do not have to be loose to by dry and grinding up the needle bearings inside the caps.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That is true I have to replace one before winter Its tight but is dry

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

With the hubs locked in, and the trk on the ground your not gunna be able to turn the driveshaft.
    Jack up the front end, lock them in and spin each tire and see if the noise happens. Might still be a wheel bearing(hub) or the lock out assm itself

6. dieselboy01

I will try that next.

My thought would be if I locked both hubs and tried to turn the drive shaft if one of the hubs didn't engage that side would spin due to the diff being "open"

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

If it does it without transfer case engaged it's in the axle. The shaft doesn't spin unless you're engaged

Jack it up and spin the tire. You should be able to hear/feel which side it's coming from.

8. dieselboy01

I was thinking it's something with the axle, but with the hubs locked it will spin the front drive shaft and in turn spin the t-case. (without the t-case being engaged)

If it's done raining I'll go jack it up and spin the tires now.

9. dieselboy01

With both hubs locked I jacked up one side at a time and spun the tire, both sides were quite as a church mouse.

10. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

My pile of junk piece of crap ford did the same thing, among other stuff. Found lots wrong. I know they did some internal stuff, front end and a vacuum seal I believe because it wouldn't go in and out correctly. Glad someone else owns that pile of bolts and wires

11. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

If I remember right they said it needs weight on it if its the same thing as mine. I don't even remember what they all did since I had 2 pages filled with its problems. Mostly engine related but 15% or so of dumb stuff

12. dieselboy01

I replaced both front hubs with a set of Warn Premium hubs I had sitting around and I still had a vibration and grinding noise at any speed.

I removed the front drive shaft, locked both new hubs and went for a spin. I had no noise or vibration so it must be the drive shaft.

I dropped the drive shaft off to get rebuilt, balanced and straightened, re-installed it, locked the hubs and went for a drive and the vibration and noise was gone!

Thanks for all the advice!
    Mike