1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chatter in duramax motor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ids, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ids

ids Junior Member

i have an 05 3500 duramax without dual wheels. when i accelerate at mid range there is a chatter that comes from the engine compartment,almost like something loose is rattling. after accelerating past mid range (1500 rpm) and i allow the turbo to kick in, nothing rattles any more. thanks.
  2. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Where about can you hear it under the hood?
    When i worked for GM we changed a few flex plates on the 6.0L and the duramax's.
    Flex plates crack and then chatter.More noticable at idle and mid RPM range.
  3. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

you might be hereing the timing/injector advance. this noise is more noticable with winter fuel and cold temp.. it is normal for the dmax to do that.. hope that helps
  4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I believe that is when the pilot injection shuts off. That rattle is the injection. Don't hold me to that though but I was reading something similar over at www.dieselplace.com. Might want to check that site out. Very good info on the Duramaxs.

JPMAKO Senior Member

It is most likely the Pilot Injection, all of them do it but some are more noticeable than others.
    As stated go to www.dieselplace.com there is a ton of knowledgeable people over there and lots of info on the D-Max.. Also I think RATLOVER has had a few of them so maybe he will chime in :nod:.

Beware- Dieselplace has been known for starting expensive habits...
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  6. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Yes yes it does I have some goodies on order because of that site:D