1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chasing snow storms

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alpinemx259, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Alpinemx259

Alpinemx259 Junior Member

I am new to this site with big ideas. I have two trucks with fishers and a skid steer with a pusher blade. I am eager to chase heavy snowfall storms along the east coast. Anybody have experience traveling to different states to remove snow? How to get in contact with people in need, what to charge? Any info would be awesome!
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

thanks but we have enough guys running around with plows
  3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I would be hesitant due to knowing local regulations in certain cities. we have all heard of storm chasing companies who chase tornadoes and hurricanes. Then people start complaining about these companies from out of state over charging or even gouging customers. I would think you may run into that same problem. Maybe if you knew someone and they could sub to you,but i would be careful.
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

They get arrested and jail time here.

So how fast can you be here ? I have a friend who works for the state that would love to meet up...

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Only way is if you contract with someone before you go and have all the particulars set in stone. Down in dc they dont have nearly enough equipment to handle what is coming. Guys with machines could make alot of money without overcharging due to the hours that will be worked
  6. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Who get arrested and jail time? And for what exactly?
  7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Must've been city tow.
  8. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

No ****!!!
  9. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

I doubt there are enough companies in the DC / VA area to clean up with what is coming. Think of all those driveways and people with sore backs wishing some guy with a plow would pull up and offer to finish for $30. Sounds nice but...
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sore backs?

You mean too lazy, living off our tax dollars and don't know how or want to actually work.
  11. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

I'd steer clear of those areas and stick to the burbs. You know, where all the Washington DC money lives, the ones who take a big chunk of our income and waste it. Wouldn't feet one bit bad charging them $10 per foot (driveway length).
  12. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Failure to pay sales tax on their work is one of the biggest fines they get here.

So, if you're out of state, and not licensed here, stay the F home...Thumbs Up

Lots of (in state) unlicensed contractors already here, thank you kindly..:waving:

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

So we can recall all of the workers who are on the way to help restore your Electric service?

It's not that hard to comply with your states requirements.
    Ooooh collecting, and paying tax sounds like we will need a accountant or something. How do you do it?

You're welcome

State law requires an out-of-state corporation, nonprofit, limited partnership or limited liability company to file formation documents with the state. According to the New Jersey Division of Revenue, only businesses operating as general partnerships and sole proprietorships are exempt from business formation requirements. However, general partnerships and sole proprietorships are still required to register a business name in the county where the business intends to operate. For example, a corporation from Michigan expanding into New Jersey must file articles of incorporation in New Jersey. In addition to state registration documents, the Michigan corporation must also provide to New Jersey a Certificate of Good Standing from Michigan. Registration documents must also show the same corporate name used in Michigan.

Out-of-state businesses registering in New Jersey are required to file form NJ-REG for state tax purposes. According to the New Jersey Division of Revenue, business may file the NJ-REG through the mail or online. The form requires the business to use the same federal employer identification number. New Jersey law requires out-of-state businesses to have a federal employer identification number if the business has employees. Depending on the nature of the out-of-state business, sales and use tax applications may also be required. Businesses engaging in rentals, retail and repair services are some of the businesses required to collect sales and use taxes from customers.

Additional permits and licenses may be required depending on the industry of an out-of-state business. Licensing requirements apply both to the business and employees practicing in certain fields. For example, some of the most common permits are required for businesses in home improvement, restaurants, car services and employment agencies. Licenses and permits are regulated by either local, state or federal agencies. Practitioners in certain fields must obtain the appropriate licensing directly from the regulatory agency and pay corresponding fees.

Businesses establishing operations in New Jersey must comply with labor laws if the business has at least one employee. As an employer, the business may be required to carry unemployment or family leave insurance coverage and comply with workplace safety regulations. For example, since July 1, 2009, New Jersey law grants employees a maximum of six weeks of paid family leave. Insurance benefits must come from private insurance plans provided by employers or by the New Jersey state plan.

I bet a few minutes on a computer and you could be registered
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  14. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I would be concerned about getting paid
  15. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

So is the state.

Little old ladies are a waiting for their knight in shining armor... Or a plow truck
  16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

cash or CC, and a contract.
    you can get a card reader for your smart phone.
  18. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

NJ boyzz.

Your super stud Gov just rescinded the law on snow shovelers. It;s also a declared emergency and an election year.

Let 'em say something about help. I'm bringing a bus load of labor Thumbs Up ( and a CC machine payup )
  19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Once a declaration of emergency is declared, it is prudent for one to know the declarations.

Also assuming your state's rules,regulations that pertain to another state is bad info.

Having been part of the Traveling Circus restoration business for the last 22 years, you would be surprised on what is legal to do.

As far price gouging and so forth, if you can prove these are ur normal prices, you cannot be legally price gouging.

Our T&M plus catastrophic charges can be easily proven based off of history of other contracts

It is STANDARD practice for us to dispatch crews to events like this.

Besides, let's face facts local communities cannot do and restore without outside help.

Last year in Boston we were there for 3 months with a contingency of 200 people
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  20. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

One of the guys that works for me is headed to PA. or NY. or VA. to plow. I advised him to do residential only and to only accept cash. Therefore no paper trail. If the customer wants a receipt or want to pay by check, go to the next customer! And to be sure to carry proof of commercial insurance. He will come back with thousands more than when he left with.