1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging to Contract out Services

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ihscoutlover, Nov 17, 2014.

1. ihscoutlover

ihscoutlover Junior Member

The contractor I worked with last year has decided to use me and my blower for some of his contracts. How should I go about charging him for me and my machine, as well as my vehicle?? Thanks for help or suggestions.

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

As a sub, just charge him your hrly rate for your time with what equipment your using.
    Are you talking a walkbehind snowblower?

3. ihscoutlover

Yes. I have a 3x 28" CC, that I recently purchased, and that is the equipment I'll be using. But being I need GL ins, I have costs as well, and by working for him I was making $12/hr. Now that I have equipment there is that added cost, as well as my ins, even though I'm working under his. I haven't figgered out my costs just quite since I cannot figure the average snow events per season. Plus I have maintenance and fuel for my machine as well, and my vehicle and it's fuel. Thanks, Jeff

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  4. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

so he was paying you 12 per hour using his fuel,riding in his vehicle, with his insurance?
    how much do you think your time is worth?

5. ihscoutlover

Yes he did. My time isn't the issue here. It's how much is my machine worth on top of my salary....I talked to a friend of mine that ran his own lawn business. He said I should charge like $22 or $23/hr. Thoughts here??

6. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

So you get your machine to my property and snow blow all in 22 per hour, you're hired.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  7. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

We pay our sidewalk guys close to that price!

8. ihscoutlover

I have no idea how much he's in the contract for, other than 100 driveways. He just bought 5 more toros, plus he's already got one more huskee unit. Then mine. I'm trying to get an idea what he doesn't realize he's in for, cause I think there's more than I and he knows...

9. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

Stick to working with him your obviously no where close to being ready plus we dont need anymore people trying to get in the lawn care business