1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging system

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by NEUSWEDE, Dec 14, 2007.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am having an ongoing problem with my charging system during storms. The volts get low to the point the abs lights come on. The alternator was replaced in October and 2 new batteries were put in last spring that are rated for the truck and have faster recovery than most batteries. All I am running during the storm is light bar with 4 strobes, headlights, plow and the fan for the heating system.

Where do I start? When the alternator was replaced they put the same alternator back on saying it was the highest output possible. Is than an aftermarket higher output?
    The truck is a 2003 f-350 6.0 cab and chassis

Just looking for some input
  2. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

Rockauto.com which is where I get some of my auto parts since my other autoparts stores are closed now at this time(im a mechanic for a dodge dealership but do work on the side) shows a 140 amp alt that motorcraft aka ford has. Part # is GL643. I would try that if thats the problem... If it still happens I would consider dual alts.
  3. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

I am starting to have the same problem with my 04 Ford with the 6.0L. when I raise my plow the abs light will come on and the radio will cut off and the face go black. As soon as I release the load everything goes back to normal. I am not running alot of things, or doing plowing for extended periods of time. I replaced both batteries less than a year ago with Interstate Mega-Tron. It just started tonight and it drove me crazy.
  4. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I have the same problem as well.
  5. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

So here is what I have figured out. I talked to the tech at www.alternatorparts.com and he explained how the bridge rectifier is going bad and not able to keep up with the amp demand especially at low speeds or rpm. So I upgraded to one of their heavy duty 140 Amp units. I was going to go with higher amperage but the tech said only go as high as you need not higher or it will have a shortened life. It should be here in a couple of days so I will keep you all informed as to how I make out. FYI the price was not bad either 239.00 plus 14.00 for delivery and no core charge to fuss with.

6. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

I had the EXACT same issue very early with my brand new 2003 F-450 6.0PSD.

This is what I learned, the early single Alt applications PSD were a 105AMP alt. even in the Snow plow Prep Packages. After several H.O. alts and several hundred $$$ later I leanred that the H.O. (180 - 200AMPs) Alt in a PSD are worthless. You still need high RPM to get the alt to put out the higher AMPS and at highway speeds the H.O. will fry.

I went with a PSD for LOWER RPM and higher TORQUE at low speed. At one point the Service Writer at FORD told me to just plow in low range to keep the RPM's up. What a fool.

Ford finally changed the factory single Alt application to a 140 AMP alt in late 04 early 05. I had the factory 140 amp alt installed at MY COST for course as the 105 never failed it was just not adequate so Ford refussed to make the switch. Ever since I have not seen the problem again.

As a side note, the 4 PSD's I purchased after the 03 F-450 are DUAL ALTs. Well worth the $230.00 factory upgrade when being built.

Get the 140 Amp alt from Ford, replace both Batt.s with 1000 CCA can your problem will be solved.

Good Luck,

Ron G.
  7. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

Well I guess my alternator is shot, just went out to start the truck and I got nothing lol Im just glad that I made it home with the family last night and didn't get stuck some where. Now I just need to wait 2 days for the new one to come in :cry:

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Is there a way to tell which alternator I have? I have a 2004 F250 with the 5.4 gas...my ABS light came on last night while plowing but I thought it was because I had buried my wheels in heavy wet snow throughout the storm...no other effects were noticed (like radio cutting out, etc.) I was running without lights most of the day just to conserve power because I did notice the lights and power dimming when raising the plow which is probably the most drawdown on the system...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  9. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

You have a 130 amp alt from the factory. It might just be getting tired and not pushing the amps out untill higher rpms or shutting down when it gets hot from use.
  10. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

i just had the same issue, altho my truck died 4 time in a parking lot. I got a new alternator 105amp (or 110) and am plowing up a storm again. Now i would like to get a dual alternator setup going on in there but cant find the bracket. And as someone else said in here 200amps wont work as well with a diesel becuase its just not going to get the rpms to feed it, i was almost set on going with a 200amp until i spoke with several people who do alternators.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

After 32 hours of plowing and having problems I took it to the dealership and had them check it out. They just put in a new alternator a month ago. The problem is a 110amp alternator was put in at the factory so when the laternator was replaced they put in what was original a 110 amp. Also from the alt not being able to keep up it killed both batteries which were put in in April. The alt is being upgraded to a 140amp with no additional cost to me and the batteries are still under warranty and will be replaced. Have to wait for the next storm to see if it works.

Also you can't add dual alternators aftermarket because they need to be synced with the computer that is why they are a factory option, the programed computer is installed at the factory. That is just for the 6.0 the 6.4 can be ordered from the factory with duals or added after the fact and dealerships can flash the computer to accomadate for the duals.
  12. MBB

MBB Senior Member

There is a new rectifer circuit avaiable just recently, 200 amp, used for the emergency vechs. sorry do not know the part number. The gentelman i get electrical parts from told me about it last Tues. as I was inquiring about beefing up my alt output. SD350V10 99 came with a 140 amp stock. Just put a yellow top in it (had to make different tray so it would clear hood) as I still had the orginal battery in it.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Hi, and thanks for the answer...I really have no issues except the lights dimming a bit. My truck starts strong and never dies like some of the others...I am upgrading to a new battery this week as mine is already 4 years old (even tho it's performing fine) It was just that ABS light that threw me for a bit then when I saw all the posts about the ABS light coming on....

My plow dealer is setting me up with his biggest AC Delco battery this week...says he has great luck with them.
  14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

my truck did the same thing last winter. abs would come on, radio would go off, lights would dim. checked around and found that the 6.0 PSD is a hog when it comes ot amps. it takes alot to run all of its various systems then add in lights, plow, radio and you get the picture. the longer you plow the hotter the alternator gets, and the less it puts out.
    in the end i replaced my alternator and sperpentine belt, i still need to run a wire directly from my alternator to the battery due to the higher output.
  15. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

High output alternators are not bad if you buy the proper one. You need one with the bigger
    6g case, The standard 4g case is too small to handle/dissipate the higher heat properly. I have a friend who builds these and i am running one right now. 240 amp at max output. The other problem is you need to add a second feed from the alt when you step up to high output units. Most fail from using the factory wire only. I will post pictures tomorrow of my setup