1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

charging system or plow motor?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BigLou80, Jan 7, 2010.

1. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Truck,
    2002 2500HD 6.0 gas regular cab long bed, 140 amp bosh alternator (3 years old now), dual batteries, new in december interstate MTP 1000CA to replace old dual batteries that I thought were the problem. The duals are wired in paralell with 2 or 4 guage wire on both terminals, the extra battery also has an additional ground strap to the engine

Plow,
    2004 fisher 8'6" EZ V. fluid/filter changed, plugs cleaned and dielectric greased and motor disassembled, glass beaded inspected and reinstalled in november.

Problem,
    dual batteries used to keep me from browning out the truck when the plow demanded 190+ amps. It could usually maintain 12-13 volts based on the stock voltage meter. Now it browns the truck out so bad the blower motor stops running.

Catch,
    Its not all the time, sometimes lifting the plow drops the voltage to 10-11 and some times it doesn't. It may change from one driveway to the next.

What I have done,
    nothing other then install the new interstates.I have not formally checked the grounds but I have had the truck on a lift and I didn't notice any badly corroded or hanging grounds. My frame is about as clean as possible for an 8 year old plow truck. I get compliments on how clean the underside of my truck is. You can still see and read the frame and torsionbar stickers. While not impossible I doubt corrision is at fault

Thanks
    Lou

2. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

wow 47 views and no ideas

3. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Is anything getting too warm? Feel the power/ground cables as well as the motor and solenoid(s) after cycling the plow up and down a few times or after plowing for a while. If anything seems excessively warm that could be a clue to the problem. I assume you have access to a clamp-on amprobe? Compare the amp draw at the pump to the draw at the battery. Also if you can, take the end cover off the motor. Look/smell for anything burnt or maybe a loose contact. Make sure the brushes are ok and their springs have good tension. Im not familiar with your brand of plow but I assume they all function basically the same. Im going through a similar issue with my older Western and thats what I have been told to check. Hope it helps.

4. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

You could try a process of elimination: I would first see how many things you can run with the plow before getting a brown out. I would than check out what is happening after that. Perhaps the issue is in the alternator? But I don't think you'll know this until you can really narrow down the conditions that cause the voltage drop to be serious. I'm trying to figure out a similar problem on a used Plow Truck myself.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you 100% positive all the power and grounds are clean and tight and the motor was good, replace the motor relay. They'll cause the exact issue you're having. But so will a defective motor or a ground connections so be sure to go other those first.

But if it's been a long time on the same motor relay it never hurts to throw a fresh one on there every once in a while as they can get some major internal resistance built up in them over time.