1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

charging system 2004 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wrugboy, Nov 22, 2006.

1. wrugboy

wrugboy Junior Member

Hooked up today to test everything out and found my lights to be dimming more so then I remember. I checked the ground and everything is good. I have 14.5 at the terminal and 11.5 when I lift the blade. I am being told this is normal for a Ford. I don't remember this previously. Anybody?
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

could be weak alternator or battery(ies).
  3. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

batteries get old, yours prolly isnt a spring chicken like it was last year....

my superduty had the gas motor but the plow prep and would still kill my 900amp battery when lifting the boss plow up and down after about 45 minutes, after that when id go to lift the truck would die and when i restarted id have to give the truck a 5 minutre break hear and there to charge the battery and pray i never shredded my serpentine belt or ruined my alternator...maybe it was my giant subwoofers and my 1000 watt amp or all my amber running lights or all those kc daylighters i had all over too combined with using the plow in tight areas....haha (j/k)

alternator iis healthy i checked it on the machine, i just added the second battery and its made all the difference...go to sams club and see if you can get a bigger batt to fit in the same spot...

im presuming you dont have a diesel of course...
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You run 12.5 --> 12.6 not running. When running it should be 13.5 --> 14.5.
    When you put a load it will drop lights will dim and the heater blower will slow down. The key is if it keeps up on the + side while running the pump all the time.If it starts to decline real fast after starting to plow snow you may need to get new a battery / batteries because they just ain't keeping up. You need a 100 amp alternator to just keep up too.