1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

charging system 2004 F250

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by wrugboy, Nov 22, 2006.

1. wrugboy

wrugboy Junior Member

Put the plow on today and noticed my lights dimming while lifting the blade. Grounds are clean. I have 14.5 at the terminal and 11.5 when lifting the blade. I am being told this is normal for a Ford. I don't remember this previously. Anybody?
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We have an 06 F250 Super Duty with a new Fisher SS V blade and you can barley tell the lights are diming when using the plow. Ours came with a 140amp alt. (came with the plow prep package, I thought it would be a little bigger) Find somewhere were you can test the AMPS coming off the altenator under a load. It might just be wearing down.
  3. wrugboy

wrugboy Junior Member

Same deal on the alt came with the truck. It's pouring rain here I'll have to get out and check it tomorrow
  4. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

Load test your battery(s).

Last winter while plowing I noticed my lights were dimming very slightly during plow functions, use to not do that. Went to the shop and checked the batteries and sure enough one cell on one battery was lazy.

Just came to mind... Had a customer complain about the same. After testing found the pump motor was drawing to much still within specs but at the upper limit. Removed the pump motor cover and found brushes and commutator were very dirty.

Good luck.