1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

charging problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 94 GMC, Feb 8, 2010.

1. 94 GMC

94 GMC Junior Member

I have a 94 GMC and I dualed up the batteries and the one that runs my firher plow,salter,roof lights don't get charged I can't figger it out ,I put a battery isolator in that didn't help was thinking about running 2 alt?Anyone have any ideas?

2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

have you tested the alternator? whats your charging guage say?

3. 94 GMC

94 GMC Junior Member

my change gage was droping down to nothing till i put the isolator in,my alt is about 3 mouths old and batters are 1 mouth old I,ve been having this problem all seson and just found this site and foun it every usfull I work on all kinds of different plows from fisher to dimon and boss.but seem to have more problems with my own that i can't figger out the charging is the biggest.

4. Evanbrendel

where did you ground the second battery? maybe a ground when i installed my second battery i grounded it on the frame the motor and back to the first battery.

5. Evanbrendel

also i used double ott welding cable for all the grounds

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you post a pic of your setup? And details of your wiring for the dual batteries?

7. 94 GMC

94 GMC Junior Member

pos to pos and neg to fram thats what i had be for the isolator now the alt charge wire goes to it and a wire comes from the starter trigger wire and the 2 wires come off each side of the isolater the each battery but I'm not toldly sold on the isolater working for me but this is the frist time I,ve need to plow sents I put it in and the plow wasn't working this morrin so my aux bat was dead.So it wasn't charging.Has for pics you wouldn't see anything but a dirty engine sorry.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Dump the isolator to start with. What size wire did you use to tie the batteries together? 2 gauge or bigger is best.

You also need a 2 gauge from your alternator to one of the batteries. Along with a 2 gauge ground from the battery to your frame, and from there to the engine block. And make sure where your alternator bolts in is nice and clean.

9. 94 GMC

94 GMC Junior Member

I have 4 gage going every were from battery to battery grounds to fram and to the block.I was going to run 2 alts 1 to 1 battery and the other to the other battery.this is more frustrating.

10. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

My 95 has an isolator and the stock alternator and it keeps up with the meyer plow just fine all night long. If you add more than that I don't know. You may need a bigger alternator than the 105 amp that is stock.
    4 Guage wire is too small to run all of that. Run at least 2guage or bigger. Find a welding shop and buy cable from them. Half the price than the store. And they sell the connectors for it.
    If you know your lengths they can usually crimp it for you too.
    On my new truck I am running 1Guage for everything. I can tell a big difference.

Can you check the voltage to the Aux battery? Disconnect at the isolator and use a volt meter and see what the voltage is. Maybe you have a bad isolator.

On my new truck I am connecting the batteries together thru a relay. No Isolator. Using a relay will disconnect the batteries from each other when the truck is off. Makes them last longer.

Here is a thread that the guys helped me on and source for the parts. I have 3 of those relays now. 1 for the batteries and 1 for the plow and a Spare.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=87015