1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by redplowman, Feb 21, 2014.

1. redplowman

redplowman Member

2006 F350 - new alternator and batteries. Checked all cables and connections everything great! Voltage is good at batteries, at regulator plug, and between alternator and batteries. Battery light on and not charging. Any Ideas would be appreciated! ???????
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Check the fuse for it.
  3. redplowman

redplowman Member

I have checked the owners manual for a fuse. Apparently there isn't one, unless they don't list it as alternator or charging system.
  4. 03fordboss

03fordboss Member
    from Iowa

What is the voltage at the batteries while running? Should be 14 or a little more. Sometimes you get bad alternators from parts house.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Batt light on indicates bad alt OR a bad signal wire from the alt
    As asked what's the voltage?
    What started it all?
  6. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Yea could be bad alternator out of the box. A possibility. But have them test it. Pain in the ass I know
  7. redplowman

redplowman Member

Voltage is around 12v. Charge wire has been checked and appeared ok. Alternator has been tested by two different testing stations and passed both. The alternator was not bought at a chain auto parts store but a local auto electrical parts supplier that rebuilds them. ( not that that matters a whole lot but want to point out a slight more confidence in alternator) Testing the power at the pigtail, I have noticed that, while running, I have batt. Voltage at one wire but not the other. (<1) I don't think that is normal but not sure yet what would cause this!
  8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

charging wire could be corroded under the insulation...confirm power at back of alt....try a temp bypass if power there and not the batt
  9. redplowman

redplowman Member

Power is = at battery and alternator. Just started truck, with truck running and volt meter watching battery, noticed voltage jump from 11.6 up to 11.95 when alternator engaged. Has anyone ever had the glow plug circuit not disengage for some reason. It's almost like there is a huge load or bad connection. I have checked all grounds found and they ohm out great! < .5ohm. Any ideas? Keep the good stuff rolling in, it's just a matter of finding the correct combination! Thanks to all!!
  10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if you have battery voltage at the back of the alternator with engine off, and the 2 wire plug going into the alternator is good but only 12 volts to the battery when running, the alternator or voltage regulator in the alternator is bad.
  11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

And wait a few minutes because ford drops voltage for some reason with the glow plugs. The ford tech explained it on here I can't find it
  12. redplowman

redplowman Member

Long story short! Alternator was bad!!!!!! Lol