1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 219PLOWER, Dec 2, 2010.

1. 219PLOWER

219PLOWER Junior Member

Hi ive got a 95 k1500 with a 7.6 western unimount. does any1 know if its normal for the needle to drop to 10Volts when moving the plow standing still ?
    i added an extra optima to the existing 1 i had and didnt notice a difference. maybe im hooking up both batteries wrong but i dont think i did.
    the 2nd batt is grounded by itself and 4Gauge wire to the main batt top postive post. also ran 4gauge power wire from the main batt to the alternator and main ground is Zero gauge. i install HIDs and some car audio on the side so ive got some wiring skill.
    if any1 knows what my problem is let me know Thanks...

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You need to upgrade the alternator.

3. 219PLOWER

219PLOWER Junior Member

Ya I Was Thinking About Doing That But They Are Expensive. But I Still Dont Think It Dropping That Far Down Is Normal. I Just Replaced The Alternator And Its Doing The Same Thing

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Mine has done that from day one when I installed my plow on my 93 truck back in 98, I changed my ground straps and it seems better, I only run one battery and I have never had a problem with the battery not recovering fast enough. I should state that I did upgrade the altenator and the ground straps were for my gauges reading abnormally low.

5. chriswittlock

chriswittlock Junior Member

i would also try running another ground to the plow its self i had the same problem rand ran two ground wires and it helped. i am also running two batt. now too.

6. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Sounds normal for the early 90's. The stock alternators just dont have the output. Best bet is to get a 105 amp for it. Wont be cheap but itll keep up. You really wont have any problems running it the way it is, just more annoying than anything.

7. 219PLOWER

219PLOWER Junior Member

Well if im not sure my truck out of the 2 altinators that u can get has a stock either 105 or 118 not sure. Guess ill see 2nite how it works plowing.

8. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

You got a 95 pre Vortec so you can run dual alts pretty easily.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthread.php?t=400945&pagenumber=

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthread.php?t=441953&pagenumber=

But as Mike has told me before your better off with one HO alternator as two seem to reduce amps a little as its the nature of the beast.

Either way if you go single Id for sure go Power Master. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-47864/

Another option is to have yours upgraded by a good electrical shop. They can usually build them to whatever you want within reason. Bout same price as new though....least around here by a good shop.