1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

charging problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by highlander316, Jun 24, 2008.

1. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

ok, in my 1997 3500, I have the 454 (7.4). One of the batteries won't charge, and the other battery keeps blowing the negative terminal out. Is there a regulator that goes between both batteries that determines which one gets charged, and if so where is it and how would I tell if it's bad. On the Autozone computers, a 'voltage regulator' is listed, but no location for the part is told/shown.

Also, what else should I look for?

2. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

My gmc 2001 3500 has a 100a littlefuse autolink behind the pass. side batterie, but you have to take out the batterie to get to it :gunsfiring: test for continuity between pos. posts No regulator in between batteries on mine
    what do you mean by blowing the negative terminal out?

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Batteries can and do "fight each other" alothough no car manufactor installs them , you might want to think about an isolation modual

4. highlander316

where you screw the negative terminal into, that part is actually blowing out of the battery.

I'll check for that fuse tomorrow when I'm at the shop.

5. highlander316

where could I get one, and what exactly would it do (sorry, I don't know much when it comes to auto electronics)?

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's called battling battery syndrome The higher voltage battery will try to equalize the voltage level by discharging into the lower voltage one.
    ( it does not matter the age of the batteries one can be a few millivolts off when both are brand new) This goes back and forth over time. While it's sitting ,till both are discharged. Most part stores should have the isolator setups. Get the heavy duty one. Just like voltage regulators and turn signal blinkers. Always get the heavy duty version.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  7. highlander316

i'll check Autozone tonight after I get my other truck inspected. See if they have it. I'm totally clueless on what else it could be and want to get this truck back on the road. Thanks.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The voltage regulator should be inside the alternator on your truck. Most times they are not real hard to change. If you get the single model repair manual for your truck it should have the procedure for changing it. Buy the heavy duty voltage regulator. If you added the second battery that may be the problem too. The wire feeding the batteries may be too small and needs to be a bigger size. AutoZone had the isolator's the last time I looked. I prefer Advance Stores. Some stores even have a limited selection of snow plow parts.

9. highlander316

no the second battery came w/ the truck when I bought it, not sure if installed from the factory or not? I like Advance also, but I deal w/ Autozone since I do lawn and plowing for them.

10. haejinjoe

haejinjoe Junior Member

Regarding your neg cable end popping out of the battery........

I would suggest to look at the cable end where it is popping out of the battery and see if any of the battery where the bolt threads in is attached to the bolt which goes through the cable end. If so, (This is not unusual on side post batteries) then you will need to replace that battery. And further, this issue (the neg terminal popping off) should be taken care of before worrying about an isolator because it may solve your problem.
    ussmileyflag

11. highlander316

that is what's happening. I've put two new batteries in already. It's the battery that connects to the starter. I put one battery in one morning, and blew the terminal out that night; I don't think the truck was started even 10 times that day. I put a new one in AGAIN the next morning, just so I could move it from my dump site to my shop.

12. haejinjoe

haejinjoe Junior Member

Sorry, I didn't realize this had happened to multiple batteries. I have not run in to this condition personally, but have seen a number of occasions where a battery failed physically where the post attaches.
    I reviewed the posts for this thread, and observe that your truck probably did not come OE with two batteries as a gas engine truck.
    Some basic questions: The batteries are hooked up in parallel? Good connections for the grounds? Good connection at the pos terminal on the starter? Is the bolt where it screws into the battery too long? If it is too long it could break the connection.
    Sorry if these "basic" questions are too basic!

ussmileyflag

13. highlander316

haha thats ok. I believe they are in parallel. I'll have to check when I go to the shop maybe tomorrow. I don't know about the starter. Grounds connection looked good, but I'll clean them. Bolts are just right length.

The truck struggled to turn over w/ 1 battery. The truck has a dump insert in it, so I'm not sure if the second battery was put in for that. The positive terminal on the other battery only goes to the starter solenoid and another wire goes somewhere in the truck (I think at one point a sound system was in the truck, there are wires behind the seat). I believe that's the only two wires, unless we unhooked one the first time the one battery blew and we swapped batteries and then I forgot to hook one up? I'll have to check on that, but I don't remember seeing one. I haven't looked at the truck much as it sits at my shop and had to get 5 days of work done in 4 this week lol.