1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

charging per inch

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Dec 18, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

When Charging per inch do most of this way? Adding half of the total amount to the next set inch increments?

Example 1-3 30.00
    3-6 45.00
    6-12 60.00

2. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

after 6in i charge around 12 per inch

3. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

for instance i charge on the aver $100 per hour so its like this

2-4 100
    4-6 150
    6+ 150 + 12 per inch

4. clncut

would you consider using the above method for residential or just use per push and state on larger storms multiple visits may be needed?

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's pretty common if you've got a 1" trigger. Except that it's usually more like 6-9; 9-12 and over 12 is so much additional per inch over 12. And you might want to put "over" 3 - 6, "over" 6 - 9 etc.

Personally, I've started charging one rate for the trigger (3") to 12". I prefer it and the customers seem to prefer it. It comes out to what I had charged for 6-9 in the past. It's just easier to keep track of. I kept the "storm clause" for over 12", though.

6. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I'm just a sub for a landscape company. There scale is as follows:
    2-4 $60/hr.
    4-6 $65/hr.
    6-8 $70/hr.
    8-10 $75/hr.
    10-12 $80/hr.
    12-14 $85/hr.

7. clncut

Mick, So when your giving a price for residential, you just tell them the 6-9 inch price and is that for unlimited pushes?

8. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Keep it simple.......

Residential as follows:
    Example:
    Up to 8": $40
    8" plus: $70 (1.75X the up to 8" rate)

All (76 of right now) customers must sign contract limiting our liability and they decide how many inches at which we start. I plug this into a database and print out routes as per the total number of inches, so to speak.

Commercial:
    1-5"
    5-10"
    10+"
    Then additional $100 per hour for over 6 mh

9. clncut

now is that for each time you visit the residence on large storms and then bill the total amount of snow or is it 0-8 at a given price for unlimited pushes and same for 8-12?

10. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Yes...and no....

Just go by inches, trying to figure all the time you spend going back, how many times, etc. will drive you crazy. As a rule of thumb, up to 8" is one visit. Over 8" inches is acounts for a second. At this rate, say a six inch event, it will take us five hours with three vehicles to do all drives, which grosses me around $4000 or so. One way to stay extremely profitable is to condense your service area, all our drives and commercial are in a three mile radius. We won't go anywhere else. Our rates start at $35 and up per drive. In the devolopments we work we do at least a dozen or so drive in each.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, I think I know what you're asking. Mine are all residential and most generally I wait till the storm is over to plow. The price I give is for plowing anything up to 12" per storm with additional over 12". We get very few snowstorms over 12"; maybe one or two a year. So say the price is $50 and it snow 10". I can decide whether to just push once or twice based on characteristics of the snow, timing etc.

Really, it works the same as the incremental pricing. It's just easier for the customer and me. It's easier keeping track of the number of times it snowed than keeping track of how much it snowed. For the customer - just remember Mick plowed three times this month - 3 x $50 = $150. No surprises. For me, it works out to pretty much the same amount of money anyway.