1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

charging per inch over 12

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dreisman, Dec 10, 2002.

1. dreisman

dreisman Junior Member

I am looking for someone who charges per inch over a certain amount of snow. How much per inch charge if applicable.
  2. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

I Charge double the price for my residential plowing over 6 inches
  3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

I also charge double over 6".
  4. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i charge double over 8 inches for res and every 3 inch for comm
  5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

i charge double over 8 inches for res and every 3 inch for comm too

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

My customers pay everytime i plow. If we get 6" and i plow it twice (once at 3" and once when its done) they get a bill for twice what one push costs. if i have to go twice and clean up a few little drifts on a third trip, i charge an extra 1/2. Seems complicated, but its a system that works for me and my customers.

I usually use my jugdement to check for the third clean up, if its gonna drift then i cruise by them and check them out, if they call me the next day or whatever and tell me its drifting i go take care of it. I've also found it very beneificial to have good, or at least some, relationshipos with my customers.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2002

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't know if your talking about commercial or residential, but on our commercial accounts we try to charge 10-20% of the total up to that point for a per inch price.
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have mostly residential and goes like this with a 3" trigger:

3" to 6" $xx
    over 6" to 9" $xx (times 1 1/2)
    over 9" to 12" $xx (times 2)
    over 12" $xx (times 2) plus y per inch over 12" (commonly y = $1), so: say xx = $25, then a 14" snowfall would be:

$50 + $2 = $52

now I specify that this will apply to any snowfall total in a 24 hour period. This gets around a storm which lasts over several days.
  9. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

I charge
    1-4 single
    3-7 double
    7-12 triple
    12 or more triple plus $95 per truck per hour.
  10. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Different $$$ amounts

I know each & every market is different but that's what I like about my area. I charge each & every 2" of snow all day-everyday & night 24/7 all winter long. :waving:
  11. Mick

from Maine

And I'd lose jobs if I tried plowing 2".
  12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's what I mean,to each his own $$$$$$$

I think thay's why some new guys have trouble bidding & winning the bid because they don't check what the norm is for the area.

If you go just 45 miles from here most guys bid every 4" to 6". :waving:
  13. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

Been plowing for 7 years and in my market, I've only ever heard of 3 methods: 1) by the season, by the hour, by the storm.
    Never heard of by the inch. Sounds like a good method but I know my residentials would look at me like I was crazy if I tried to explain all the triggers.

Also, how do you guys charge when you get a storm that has a lot of drifting. I've had 5-6 foot drifts in one driveway and none in the neighbour's with about 12" said to have fallen
  14. dreisman

dreisman Junior Member

I plow 3-6 7-9 10-12 and over 12 plus $5-25 per inch over 12.

Drifts are done at an hourly rate of 75-100 plus and hour depending on the amount of snow. Our drifts here ar not what yours are so you have to take that into consideration.
  15. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Ohio Snow has got it

Ohiosnow.....you've got it. After seeing your 28 years of plowing note, I would take advice from you any day. This is my fifth year plowing.....Already this year I have been jammed up based on the 3" trigger crap. Two storms have been 2 1/4" and 2 1/2". I ended up doing almost all drives but was a cluster f... with phone calls and timing....This years contracts (even residential) are already set so I will go with the current 3" trigger. Next year with out a doubt I will have to go at 2" for the first push and every 2" there after. If they don't stay, I will cut the time I plow down and make more money doing it. Thanks for confirming my lingering thoughts that doing what "the other guy" is doing doesn't have to be the way.
  16. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I can't say my pricing will work in every market area because if your snow usually comes at a rate of 6" to 8" at a time most accounts won't want it done at every 2" :( But if your norm is 1" to 3" then it should work OK.

Believe me after 28 yrs. of being in the plow biz you do learn somethings but I can still learn from others. ;)

I still love to plow snow but till today all I got to do this yr. was salt & clean-up. Today I salted for the ice rain & 2 hrs. later I plowed for 6hrs. & salted again.:p God I like snow :waving:
  17. Mick

from Maine

katwalk, I'm crushed :( .

Not really :D . Like Ohiosnow pointed out, you have to take the customer's expectations into consideration. I have a 3" trigger for most cause that's what they'll go with. Most people in this area would consider it a waste of money to plow anything less. I do have two accounts that want plowing at less. One is a retired couple who live on a private road. They want access, period. Both made it plain that I was to use my own judgement and they wouldn't question it. They spend quite a bit of time in Massachusetts and want it kept plowed while they're gone. The other is a guy who has some disabilities. While he walks around fine, he can't risk slipping and falling. So he wants anything plowed by 9:00.

I've also had some in the past that tried to drive on 12". I just don't do them anymore. But I simply can't afford saying I'll only take those who will pay for plowing every 2".
  18. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

we charge every 3", all the time. No exceptions. If we get called for less, it is still the same rate. I found that this has worked well for me, and my customers.

19. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

i roughly have a 2'' trigger, people around here are not use to snow, drive horribly in it, get scared when walking on it. any amount up to 6'' is the same price, after 6'' price goes up $5 per inch. majority of my customers get done once per storm, if they request to be done more often they pay extra for it, for example my fire chief pays extra to have me make multiple trips keeping his driveway clean at all times, last storm we got 8'' and i made about 4 trips there.
  20. KenP

KenP Senior Member

We have a two inch trigger and we bid most work in three lifts, i.e. 2"-4", 5"-8", 9"-12", 13" and above I would charge the 9"-12" price plus an hourly rate of 180.00, which can be billed at 3.00 per minute. I use a similar formula as Mick, I take the 2-4 and multiply it my 1.7 for the 5-8 and by 2.5 for the 9-12. Now maybe that seems high to some of you, but I charge what the market will handle. We don't get a ton of snow events out here, so to handle them we charge a little more. I also have great relationships with all my customers commercial and private. I don't get all the work I bid on, but I do get the bilk of it and my retention rate for the last three years has been 100%. I'm very proud of the 100% retention rate as that directly reflects on how satisified my customers are with my services. I also have contracts that I have to clear from the time the snow starts falling and others that give me 24 hours from when it stops falling. Anyway you cut it, If you're getting the work and keeping it then you must be doing something right.