1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging per 24 Hour Period/Pricing Help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by GTLS, Sep 26, 2011.

1. GTLS

GTLS Member

How many of you guys do this? Per storm also would fall under this for the most part. I am trying to find the best way for me to bid residential houses. I have heard of a lot of people bidding this way anywhere from $30 and up. Is it just me, or is there VERY LITTLE profit here? Just with the liabilities, abuse of the truck, expenses(minimal, I know, but still should be considered) is it really worth it? I also think that bidding this way leaves room for customers to call you back if there are wind drifts. It seems like you'd be fighting your own numbers, but I could be wrong.

I would like to hear how everyone else is handling this, so I can get a better idea... IDeally, wouldn't you want to be paid every time you show up? Of course the amount would be dependent on the accumulation of snowfall... If anyone has a method that has been working for them, I would love to hear and get some ideas because it sounds like everyone does it differently...

Thanks!

2. theturftailor

theturftailor Junior Member

For residential driveways, I charge $30 for a two car garage and $35 for a three car. I bought nice snow pushers and hired a few young men. Sent them out in teams of two with two shovels and a backpack blower. They were able to clear about 3 drives an hour. It worked well and I made good money.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Give them a seasonal price.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

there are many ways to price a driveway. You also price for profit so, for instance if it is just you how many driveways and hour do you want and do you do commercial. Is this for company profit and you have guys plowing for you ... then consider other issues.

I think what your asking is IF you plow at 5" but it is still snowing and will for the next day how do you plow when needed and still make a money because $30 a drive and plowing it 3 times stinks.

Seasonal is one option and cap it at so many inches or x amount of services.
    Per push - every 1-4 inches is $30 bucks.
    Per push - 1-4 is price X every additional visit is price Y.

You'll never make everyone happy but if your specific and they agree at least you both know what to do and expect.

5. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

how big are these driveways?? I won't start my truck for anythin less than $40 per driveway and that is for a small one. Last year in my area (in my area being the key here) I was getting on average about $60-65 per driveway for a storm up to 8". Some driveways were $40, some driveways were $150. I think they can really range in price depending on your area.

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Over the years I've gotten into pricing 'discussions' with folks from Ohio and NJ. Sometimes I can understand mostly not.

Illinois is a whole lot cheaper. I think we look for quantity per hour. The drive's ( or mini road's ) that go for more money usually come with a headache.

I like drive ways generally and when grouped then you can make money but at some point when your not there at the exact moment that home owner opens their blinds and your not standing there with a hot cup of their favorite coffee, newspaper and have already walked their dog you'll hear about it. :yow!: