1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging more for PIA lots?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Bossman 92, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I just finished a meeting with a business, and I am left scraching my head. The lot is not all that big, just over 2 acres, but the lay out is bad. There are only a couple places to put snow, I would have to take the snow from the main lot and push it all the way to the back lot. Around the back, I have to plow around stacks of palletts, and several smaller areas that arn't much wider than my truck. How much more do you guys charge more for a pia lot then an average lot?

Bossman

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What do you average an hour $ wise. I'd figure how many extra hours, plus a PITA surcharge.

Place like you describe I'd carefully outline the the parameters of service and the additional cost involved if you must return or wait because of blocked service road etc..

3. Bossman 92

I know what I should charge....... but the place is next door to the shop, and I could really use one more big place. Does anyone on here ask where they need to be price wise to get the job? I sorta know the guy and I am sure he would tell me, but I don't like to use those practices. While we were walking around today he had brand X's bill in his hand, I started to say somthing but I didn't.

Thanks for the help guys. Bossman

4. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

put an aerial pic of this site up to see

5. Bossman 92

How do I do that??

6. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

what's the address?

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Go tohttp://http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl

copy pic / or save pic to your comp then post it here.

hit attchments, fallow directions.

wala...

8. Bossman 92

I can't zoom in all the way. It still looks like a speck on the map??? :dizzy:

9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

So you think of the regular price for this lot, and you begin inflating it in your mind to the point that it becomes not only tolerable but even enjoyable to plow! If it's too high, there are a couple ways to look at it: he'll get the service he deserves for taking that other company's lower price; or you can discuss your concerns openly and identify problem areas used in making your bid to see if such things as pallet stacks can be altered or eliminated. There's a reason you're in his yard doing the quote, I don't care why he has the other company's contract! He's unhappy about something, and if you can do a good job for a reasonable price, chances are you will get the contract. Good luck!

~Kevin

10. Bossman 92

Hey yard medic, What do you mean in his yard doing the quote?? The company doing it now is not doing a very good job. While we were walking around I said "Man it looks like they forgot to trim last week" and he says "Yea" I would normally charge $225 for plowing, but I might back it down a bit, to ensure I get it.

Bossman

11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

How many hours to do it, multiplied by your hourly rate.
    Everyone's bid should be about the same (more or less), everyone realizes it's a PITA and it's just going to take longer. (I wonder if the companies can apply for snow bill help for being forced to put in all the stupid islands and such?)

Lowering your bid is a bad move. You'll be losing money, unless you think you can do it faster or whatever time in which case your first bid is too much.

12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Oh, just thought you'd been asked to quote it, that's all. Basically I was thinking if he ASKED for the quote, it must have been because of (1) price, or (2) bad service.

13. Bossman 92

Hey yardmedic, I see what you'r saying.

I was coming home last night and he was standing outside, so I stopped. We got to talking and he told me they were charging an hourly rate to plow of $45! I then asked how long it took them to plow it and he says well they are useing a skidsteer with a regular buck, and it seems like it takes them quite a while. :dizzy:

I figure I can plow it in 1 hour and 40 min. So I am turning in a bid of $190 to plow and $175 to salt. I guess we will see.