1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging issues (CJ 7)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tripm, Jan 20, 2003.

1. tripm

tripm Junior Member
    from NH

I have a 1984 CJ 7 6 cyl, 5 speed. It has an older Myers plow, not sure of the model name. It's a 6ft blade. I have real problems with the using the plow - it kills my battery quickly (15 minutes). I'm only plowing my own (200 foot) driveway. I replaced the battery, the starter is new, and the alternator seems to be working ok as if you let the Jeep run, it will eventually charge the battery back up. I can watch the volt meter drop down after raising the plow a few times.

I know this is a broad question, but anyone have any advice? Could a bad ground or something contribute to this?

I have to fix it before we get another big storm here! (NH)

Thanks,

Mark

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Charging System

Welcome to plowsite Mark. To answer your first question yes grounds could be a problem. I would recomend that you have your charging system checked out, not just a voltage test but one that will show the amperage output too. You should also have a current draw test done on your plow motor. You shouldn't see more than a 150 amp draw on just about any of the Meyer motors went lifting the plow.:rolleyes: John

3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Replace your battery with an Optima yellow top deep cycle battery, they work great and are made to handle excessive draw without charging problems or effecting the trucks performance.Here is a link to Optima's website.

4. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

Hi Mark
    Jeeps have a habit of having a small alternator. Usually around 65 amps for that period. Any type of off road lighting or a PLOW setup requires the addition of a larger alternator as part of the package.

Garagekeeper gave excellent advise and before you start worrying to much have the system checked. If you have a 65 amp output, you need a major upgrade.. Good luck.
    Mike

5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

get a high output alternator. that should be done regardless of what the problem is. older vehicles tend to need more tlc than newer ones. it would be wise to carry a spare battery in your vehicle with tools. you never know.

to save some power, angle your plow while it is on the ground. it uses less power than if you angled it airborne.

brian ;)

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Had the same problem last year with a 1/2 ton and Fisher 7.5'. New battery took care of it. But I agree, check your grounds first, get a draw test. Especially if you have a fairly new battery.

Something else to think about. If your plowing at night - using your lights, heater and radio, you are really putting a load on a standard battery with the addition of the plow motor.

Also, do you quit trying to "push the blade down" as soon as it contacts the ground? Or is fully raised? Continuing to hold the button, lever etc will put a very high draw on your battery.