1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging for salt$

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mrfiestas, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

Here in MI, I have a customer requesting salting services on a small parking lot( 15 min to plow) and I would be useing is a commercial drop spreader to apply.
    What salt type should I use and how much is the mark up should I charge? thx
  2. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

All of the info you stated related to your question is completely relative, and as such it is impossible to answer your question accurately.
  3. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

All Im primarily asking is, what is the markup on bagged salt when using a hand spreader?
  4. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

You should be charging at least three times what you pay for the salt if you are including the application.
  5. RSE

RSE Member

3.5....I mean really, your getting out of the truck into the wind,cold and nastiness to apply bagged material with a manually pushed drop spreader. Why not at least use a broadcast spreader?
  6. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

I am using a broadcast spreader. What should be the application rate pounds per sq foot?
  7. harley05

harley05 Junior Member
    from CT

Well so far you've said you will be using a commercial drop spreader, a hand spreader and a broadcast spreader. My salt costs me twice as much as 50/50 sand/salt so you need to ask if they have a preference. i charge 3 times my cost of the product, regardless if i use a truck spreader or throw it by hand. And I use between 50-100 lb of product for 1000 sq ft.depending on sun or not, day or night, temps, forecast, etc. Oh and I would never use a drop spreader for salting, wastes too much product. Good luck!
  8. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

Sorry to have confused and misstated. I am using a commercial broadcast spreader, not drop or hand. My customer wants it just salted and thanks so much for the advice that I will use.
  9. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

Material cost x 3
  10. Wiedmann

Wiedmann Member

If i was doing salt by the bag and having to hand spread it then i suppose 3x's the cost would be close to what I charge, but even then i feel a little guilty. but you do have to get out of your truck. load the salt into the truck, then drive to your location, get out of your truck, open the bag and spread it in the cold wind. Charge what you feel your worth, if they don't like it then they will find someone else and you wont have to mess with salting a small parking lot that doesn't pay much
  11. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

That's how I charge for my bagged rock salt and I use a tailgate spreader.