1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging $ for Plow stakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TazLandscapes, Nov 4, 2007.

1. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

I am getting ready to start staking out my lawns for winter and would like to know is it alright to charge customers money for staking there yard out.I am not talking $100 here.
    I am thinking between $20-30 for them maybe even $15 for the small yards.ANy help is appreciated.

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

lol not this again!!!!!!
  3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldnt. maybe in mass but we live in maine. dont know if that would fly well. mainers might look at like "im paying you to plow the snow not stick stakes into the ground. if your worried about hitting something then its your choice to use the stakes thats your thing.".

what do i know though. try it and find out.. might go. might go over like a lead balloon.

thats kind of like when people charge for estimates. not many charge for estimates in maine because mainers dont like paying for estimates.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No. Unless you and the customer agreed to the charge beforehand. The stakes are actually for your convenience - to avoid any damage and resultant expense in the Spring. Or to avoid hazards - which is still for your convenience. Any way you look at it, the stakes are not there for your customer's use.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's the same quote Keith Moon gave to Jimmy Page. So the band "Lead Zeppelin" found a new name! :D

PS Don't charge for stakes like everybody else said. You put them there for your benefit .
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with above posts. Stakes are for your benefit, you can't charge for them.
  7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i am curious to hear everyones answer, i don't think this has ever been asked before lol snofarmer or mark o may be able to help you out why don't you pm them

stakes cost from $.00-$.49 how many were you planing on useing for $30?

alot of people charge for stakes but i am not one of them but as you all know i don't hardely do any resi's
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

OH YEAH IT HAS!!!!

Hey Mark, want to handle this one? :D
  9. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Oh, I just love this topic. Do a search and you will be reading all day.

Out here, it is up to the customer to mark there drive. Any damage done to anything that is not marked is not the plowers responsibility.

Most of my customers are not here after August or September which means I get to stake all the drives. I charge a fee to stake them and $1.00 per stake.

I do not agree with the posts above about not charging the customer. It is my time, money and fuel to go pick up the stakes and stake the drives and I believe in getting paid for my time, the cost of the stakes and the use of my truck & fuel to get them and go to their property to put them in.
  10. grandview

You could always bump up your price if you want to charge for staking and just tell the customer everything is included .
  11. Mick

from Maine

And here I thought we'd all come to agreement on the subject of staking :D :drinkup: .

Yeah, I was thinking of that other thread when I read this, too.
  12. grandview

That's it! Everybody goes vegetarian and no stakes for anybody!:D
  13. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

I agree with all of you, you should not charge an EXTRA price for putting in stakes, but I do put IT into my prices for plowing. Especially the commerical on an hourly rate, they all have them in there.
  14. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

I hope i didn't make anyone mad about this question.I have been thinking about this for a while now and last week alot of companys up my way were out staking yards out.One company i talked to charges $50 hr just to stake out a yard and he said that it doesnt bother there clients.So i just wanted to ask and hopefully not piss anyone off.

15. Mick

from Maine

No, I don't think anybody got mad. There was another thread about the same topic awhile ago and a couple members got to picking at each other. Nothing you did.
  16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I make it avail. to the customer on the contract, If they do not want me to put in stakes at $1.50 each, than we are not responsible for repairs in the spring
  17. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

might as well charge them for new brighter headlights for your truck, or how about a new set of glsses/contacts too.
  18. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

too funny. thats kind of how i see it too jay.
  19. CrownLawn

CrownLawn Junior Member

How do you justify charging a minium of $15.00 for a small yard, when my small yard my take only 2 stakes @ .15 apeice and I am there only 1 minute? $15.00 x 60 Minutes= $900.00 per hour (gross profit). WOW thats a profit I should give up snowplowing and just stake yards!! Its all in the numbers in how you want it to look. You can bill it into your quote or line item it. It matters not as long as you make a profit. That way you can pay Uncle Sam his share. We all know he never gets enough.LOLpayup payup payup
  20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Where is LLM?:confused:

lol Mick, when did all of us agree on anything?

Ecs, Are you jumping ship?
    ( How was your summer?)

I agree, you should be paid for your time.
    But,,, The markers are for your protection.
    To save you from damaging your clients property.

You could itemize your service OR include it in your price.

What if someone does not want your aesthetically pleasing markers on there property?

We do not put in markers, we do take pics of all properties before the season starts.
    We also take pics of the landscaping and any damaged areas.

cya,, cya..:nod:

P.S.Putting in markers would require someone to get out of there truck and work.:nono: I'm just too lazy....lol
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007