1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging for pile of snow in front of driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by spitfire3416, Jan 17, 2016.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 Junior Member

If you arrive at the house after the street plows leave those high piles of snow in front do you charge extra for it? I'm only using snow blowers right now so it can be hard to break through. Last year was my first year doing this and there were a few instances were the pile in front of the driveway was 4x higher than the snow in the driveway. I spent more time just breaking through that then the actual driveway.
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, need to charge using this formula

H x W x L x D x 4°÷ 3 = _√ and round to nearest 5.00 increment.

It's the national standards used throughout North America

SIMA part 38, chapter 17 par 74.
  3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Unless it's leaves. Pat relocates those free of charge.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If I'm pLowing the whole drive It's included in my price.
    Then there are times they only need or want the berm cleared.
    The wave down,
    The home owner has had enough.
    They will pay $30 at this point just to have there drive opened up.
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Someone finally bought that house. Seems like a nice guy so now I only push my snow across the street on to his front lawn.
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Charge what you think its worth. If there is no snow at curb will you charge less?

The wave down, was doing a driveway, old lady asked if I could open the end, so I do, she says thanks and goes in house. I was just to darn tired to go bang on her door.
  7. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

If they're your regular customers that's your responsibility. It should be factored into your bid/contract. You can't just change your services in mid-stream. Everybody who does residential snow knows this is a factor. Most of us just don't worry about it because we're doing it in a truck. It's all in the wording of your contract/agreement. Do you usually wait until the storm's over and do it all at once, or go several times to keep up with the storm. If you go several times, you should know that when you go back for a final cleanup there will be snow left by the city/county plows and it's just part of your job to clean it up.
  8. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

When I did residential with the blowers I had 2 house in the same street that the plow wouldn't get to their street until 2 days after the storm (couldn't for the life of me tell you why. Maybe because it was a no outlet street). I had it in the contract that if when I did the final clean up and the city plow hadn't come it was an extra charge to come back out, I think $20 or something. I hated getting that phone call 2 days after I was done and had crap put away to go back out and clear those piles. They were the only houses that I had to go back out for. Everywhere else was already done by the time I got out for final clean up.
  9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I don't use square root, the old ladies who flag me down always give me pi...
  10. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Cherry pi??:nod:
  11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Apple....I'm not that cool anymore.lol
  12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The more snow the town plow has to move outa the street (like as in wider streets have bigger burms) should have been factored into the cost (time to blow the drive). so yes people who live on wide streets pay more than people who live on small 2 lane roads. Do you go up to them after and say "but umm the pile was real big" no.
  13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

You all are absolutely no help... funny as hell... but helpful... no :laughing:
  14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

That is the biggest part of the work. If you don't do it and they have to, sooner or later they will not want you to do there driveway. Get a plow. I have driveways I do only because of this. Wide city road and the pile will be 2-3 feet high and wide. Any hand blower would be a job, plow just pushes it out of the way. :)
  15. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

In your situation it is tough since you are using blowers. I ask my residential customers at the beginning of the season if they want me to wait until after the street is plowed so they can avoid the return trip charge, and the majority of them want me to wait until the city or county plows come by.
  16. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Price driveways by the snow fall when using snow blowers is a must.

A 4" snow fall: When the road gets plowed there will not be much of a plow row to bust through.

A 24" snow fall. There will be a huge plow row. Though the price to do the job should cover the extra work to open up that driveway.
  17. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

You could try to minimize the amount of snow that will be deposited in the driveway, if you are there before the plow. This will take additional time also, so needs to be factored in to your cost.

But, you could snow blow 2-3 passes in the street up to the curb on the side the plow goes by on, even a pass on the boulevard, so that the snow will "unload" from the plow before getting to the approach.

Just an idea.
  18. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

I completely disagree. OP just has to factor the windrow into his original quote. If you don't do that, than tough luck... I think monthly is the way to go for resi's, and I run snow blower crews for it.
  19. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I guess I'm the only ****** who goes back to their customers homes and clears out the apron for free, after the twsp fills it back in ....:eek:

Oh well.

If I was using a blower, I would charge though.

See, around here there's a huge risk of using a snow blower on the street aprons. It's called "junk in the snow".

Newspapers, hunks of concrete, hunks of blacktop, dead animals. etc... all make their way into the township windrows that wind up in the driveway aprons. If I attempted to use a snow blower on them, I'd wind up keeping the shear pin manufacturers fully employed forever. 50 year old streets full of potholes, people who think that the curb is the place to throw out hunks of concrete, and newspapers that make their way to our homes, even though we don't have a subscription to them..... are enough to make sure you have a bag of pins and a set of wrenches on hand at all times.:rolleyes:

With my plow, these things aren't an issue.
  20. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Oh,you must live in the sewer oops, meant city of Newark?:cry: