1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging for other types of de icers/anti ice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by elite1msmith, Aug 3, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

with all the fun chemicals that we get to play with these days , i got to thinking , :dizzy:

im lookin gmore and more, into liquid pre-wetting, liquid pre-treating (before the storm)

how do you charge for these services? clearly on sidewalks, if a different type of salt is used, like calcuim, we charge more.

but on the parking lot , lets say , i dont want to pre-salt, (for any number of reasons) and instead i send the liquid truck over to do the job...

do i charge the same? as if i were spreading bulk salt.?, and simply tell the customer, that we choose to use liquid becasue......

what if the temp drops, and i need to use a stronger mixture, which in turn costs me more money? payup

2. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I could not get any one to let me put down and charge just for the liquid last year. It was my first year using the liquid but it worked and it work really well! The customer was paying for salt so I still gave them salt just not as much as they where paying for but made up the difference in liquid. It cut my salt down one third if not more! In the end every one was happy and it worked out really well putting both liquid and bulk salt down together. I still have not had any one this year jump on the liquid yet but either way they are going to get it. A lot of people are affraid of it around where I live since a company put thier brine down on a large mall and it all froze over!

3. elite1msmith

from chicago

doesnt sound good for that mall

yes thats what i am considering doing, or a few of the better customers, i will just apply straight liquid pre treating, and charge them for a general salting. Im going to try to use as much liquid as possible, so save the bulk salt , since the supply is unknown at this time

DO you have any quick guess, as to what it costed to treat a 1 acre area?

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I read somewhere that based on pre treating.... it takes 35 gallons of liquid calcium to treat 1 acre.

I myself am looking into this as an alternative to salting.

Bossman

5. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Mike, did you make a salt brine or use some other type of deicer ?

6. gunzup022

gunzup022 Junior Member

is the liquid cheaper than the rock salt? if so by how much?

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Thats sounds really high for anti-icing.

The price of brine, versus's the price of bulk is based on what yer paying for bulk. At $50 ton there no comparison, bulk wins. At $110 a ton for bulk, its alot closer.
    All that is irrelevant if you can not get bulk though :drinkup:

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

35 gal per acre is about correct

i read the state of iowa, sprays at 50 gals per lane mile. so if your lane is about 10-12 feet wide, thats close or a little more than 1 acre

but that is with 23.5% brine, not calcuim

also , as the cost gets closer, at somepoint i dont htink its about the cost difference, as it might be about saving ur bulk pile for when you need it, like a day time snow, or ice storm

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  9. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Here is rule of thumb for liquids:

• Deicing:
    Commercial = 1-3 gallons/1000ft2 (50-150 g/m2) Highway = 60-180 gallons/lane mile (50-150g/m2)
    • Anti-icing:
    Commercial = 0.5 gallons/1000ft2 (25-50 g/m2) Highway = 25-60 gallons/lane mile (25-50g/m2)

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Are these your personal experience ?
    And what product/ products ? Wouldnt Anti-icing allways be a fixed number ? I can not imagine why you would over apply a product on clean pavement, unless it was not bare pavement. But then I would think it would be de-icing, I dunno.

I have not actually applied straight liquids yet.
    In my reading's from several state DOT's
    They Show an average of
    20 gallons per lane mile for anti-icing, thats salt brine
    40 gallons per lane mile for de-icing, salt brine, or cal. mixed in.
    Speaking with folks who apply straight magic, they see use of around 30-35 gallons an acre for de-icing.

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

Commercial ani icing = .5 gals per 1000 ? seems very low, i spary weed killer at a higher rate than that

that would mean 22. 5 gals per acre? so 4 acres = 90 gals

1 ton of salt will cover 4 acres , so If your bulk rock salt is $120 per ton cost(which is very high) than the cost of your brine/liquid mix would need to be less than $1.33 per gal to keep the cost the same , if i can do math correctly these days

so then if someone has knowelge or experiance what is the cost of brine , if you were buying in say 500 gal qtys?

12. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Elite you put down 1 ton per 4 acres is that correct that is not even close to what we do. We usually figure 1 ton per acre