1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging for a estimate for repair??

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by snowguys, Jan 27, 2013.

1. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

So I got hit afew days ago and the lady took out my spreader a snowex 6000 and the insurance company's wants w to get a estimate for the repair and see if its worth fixing or buy a
    New one and I called two snowex dealers one said sure bring it on by and we will give you a price and the outher. One said yea we can give you a price but we have to charge you for it. Does snowex know that some dealers are charging for this? Do they even care? Maybe a snowex rep and chime in

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I find that strange. I know a car dealership will charge to jack a truck up and take a look but to drive your salter there and have some tech look at the damage for a couple of minutes constitutes a fee is crazy. You would think if you explained the situation to them they would say no problem like the other dealer since they have the possibility of Fallon it total and getting the chance to sell you a new unit. Go to the free one and if it is totaled give them the business of selling you a knew one on insurances dime.

3. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

estimates

We have an equipment dealer in our market that charges for estimates on anything if the work is not completed by them. I feel confident this is not a SnowEx idea. It is certainly up to the dealer.

4. robtown

robtown Junior Member
    from NJ

Take it back to the dealer you bought it from and have them give you an estimate .....if they want to charge you than fire them and dont buy anything else from them.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Well said! :nod:

6. Golden Boy

Golden Boy Junior Member
    from Ohio

Here's a free estimate: replace the unit. If you want an actual figure with parts numbers and pricing to figure out how to get the unit back up and running then that's going to take some time and requires a fee. I am sure you could estimate a snow removal in 2 minutes but if you want to be competitive and make good money you invest in taking the time to come up with some solid numbers. It's that simple

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

How is it any different?

Tech has to take time to go through thenspreader and make parts list. Counter person has to make estimate etc

Most techs are paid flat rate. Would you like to work for free?

8. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

FWIW,

I charge for written estimates, but I do not for verbals.

I've found over the years that, while the incentive to doing estimates for people is to get the work from them, the majority will take your written estimate and go elsewhere. This is when I decided to never give out written estimates to anyone, unless I'm compensated for it. I have to sit down, figure out my materials and labor, and write it all down on my company letterhead / estimate form. Minimum time on a small job is an hour, start to finish. I can do them faster if the work is something I've repeatedly done hundreds of times, but I still charge them for the estimate regardless of how easy it was, as there are plenty of them that weren't.

I stipulate verbally to them that If I get the job, I'll refund the cost of the estimate back to them upon final payment, subtracting it from the bill. They're getting their free estimate if they use me, and if they don't, I'm paid for my time spent writing it up, and I'm not P.O'd that I wasted my time to another tire kicker/ scamooch that was using me.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

In today's world of online purchasing can you really blame the dealer for not wanting to spend an hour of their time compiling you a internet shopping list for free?

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why do you need to do the insurance company's work for them?

Have them send out an adjuster, or you take it to a shop and your INS deals with the shop. Based on the damages they will fix it or total it.

Unless your looking to pocket the $$ and fix it your self.

11. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

This thread is a year old I think he might have gotten paid already.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^^^^Very possible.
    I have a client that pays 90days after they receive the invoice.
    If a problem arises it could take another 90days.
    That's 6 months and it could take even longer...