1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging extra for thick ice?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by regankc, Feb 14, 2014.

1. regankc

regankc Junior Member

Hey I'm in Kansas City and we had an ice storm last week. It had to be scraped off sidewalks using mutts, and it took quite a while. Is it normal to charge extra for this, even though it's not covered in the contract (price increases are covered in terms of snow depth only). Help please!
  2. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I am in KC also. Yes it is. What we do is have stated in our service agreement that in ice situations, it is the basic sidewalk charge plus any additional labor and chemical to remove the ice. Often can run double/triple normal charges.

Same for drives and commercial lots.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, you should be getting paid for what you are doing.
  4. javaboy

javaboy Junior Member
    from Alaska

I am new to the site but have seen questions similar to this a lot. As much as I agree you should be getting paid for the work that you do you also need to follow your contract.

If your contract is simple then you simply need to follow the contract even if it means doing work with out compensation.

I would encourage you to develop your contract in such a way that you do not come into this problem again.

But as far as getting paid extra because there is more ice then normal I say no unless you can justify it by using the contract.