1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

charging enough

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by new look contracting, Feb 22, 2003.

1. new look contracting

new look contracting Junior Member

have been working for the town for the last 11 yrs and not making any money. have been doing my own commercial account and tryin to get 150 an hour. does this sound reasonable
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

welcome to plowsite:waving:

all markets are different. call some local contractors, and see what they get.
  3. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Sounds a little high for my area. It depends on your market. My market up here will only get you about 100-125 per hr.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I dont know where chief plow is in NY since upstate can be considered my area,or 200 miles or more northwest.We shoot for 200 a truck an hr.Thats how i figure the bidding.Because of my efficient V plows, i can easily do 250 a truck/hr unles the snow is real heavy.If i subbed for someone,id only expect to get 65-75 hr for the V plow/truck.if you have a 7.5 straight blade you would have to bid about 125 hr to compete with my V's at 200+ an hr.I dont like to bid by the hr becasue of that,Iveh ad mangers tell me they pay 100 hr for a truck,and I wont work for it,there truck was a 4 speed granny gear 3/4 ton with a 7.5 Meyer.Nothing wrong with it,its just inefficient,I can just about double its productivity with my Dodge.The guy couldnt figure out that i was the same price at 200/hr.This is why i bid by the job,not hr.how long it takes is my problem.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2003
  5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I say go for it!!!!!!!!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Try $150 an hour, you may get it then agin you may not.

You could try starting higher and gradually working down to the market rate for your given area. Be Careful of asking other local contractors what they charge, you may not get a 100% truthful answer.

See what your market will bear, I took on a job the other day and priced it very high ( $250.00) but the drive way hadnt been plowed at all all winter. SO I was covering my 6 if you know what I mean.

Anyway, the job took me 25 minutes to do, so I gave the person a small discount (15%) I wasn't trying to rip her off, I was just trying to cover my expenses. I wasn't sure how long it would take given the amount of snow, the fact that the driveway hadn't been plowed at all this season and I was told it was an old rutted gravel drive.