1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging electric sander battery off truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Flake Chaser, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

I have a separate battery for it and would like to connect truck battery through trailer plug to keep sander battery topped off. Can I just connect pos./neg. pins in trailer plug to battery to charge it ? Trying to eliminate me forgetting to put battery charger on it and having battery go dead at 4am in a snow storm :realmad:.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Get a trailer brake battery tender. thats the easiest solution

3. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

i had mine hooked to the ground and aux on a 7 pin make sure that the aux is fused, if the battery went dead for some reson it will burn up the wire

4. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

BS, I thought the trailer battery got charged through plug.

GMD, battery went dead because I didn't charge it. The aux. is fused in the fuse box of truck. All I need to do is get another male plug and run wired to sander. I sure miss my gas sander.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

they do get wired in through the trailer plug. Don't see why this would be a problem? I doubt you'll be towing while sanding?

6. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

OK the real problem was wires that I had put a clip on wire connector that corroded. Ran two new wires with sealed connectors and problem fixed. I may still wire it in through.