1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

charging by the inch

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Jan 23, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well since i've been sitting around the past few weeks with know snow.i was wondering how you guys charge by the inch.the guy i sub for charges by the inch,but he really won't tell me how its done.i always go on a 1-3 4-8.i figured a price on a lot that i sub in and i saw the bill he gave out for the last storm and i was a bit off.his price was higher and there was only 2 inches.but people have told me i was to high in parking lot bids i have done in the past.just wanna know whats so different.

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Mike I'm a little confused, what don't you understand about this charging method?

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mike, not trying to be a smarta-- but why are you worried about what he's getting as long as you're getting what you want? That's simply the way subbing works. The contractor will necessarily make more than the subcontractor.

4. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

I can't speak for others, but mine for this year is setup for a 1-4" @ $$ and over that is $$ per every inch over per event. With the blizzard clause of course. I am per push right now but will change if I find better ways that work in my area. I don't overcharge for clean up or keeping up with a storm at my digression, but I want to make sure that I don't have to wait for 3 or 4 of the 1" events to be able to plow and have to deal with the frozen stuff. Just my .02 Please feel free to comment if you have any suggestions.

5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well since the first 2 post seem to be smart A****.i make very good money working for him.i just wanna bid the same job next year and come out to what he comes out with.most commercials around here wanna get into being charged by the inch not the 1-3 push.plus i always look into doing things different so the customer can choose what would work best for them.

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Now that I know what your asking I'll try to explain the way we have been pricining on a per inch basis. The first thing you must know is what is your equipments productivity? What type of service do the customers expect (black and wet)? What are the hours of operation? Do they expect a truck to be present at all times?
    As an example: Two lots side-by-side, equal in every way. One's a 24-hour trucking depot the other is an office park open 7am -6pm. They are going to have different service needs. Most trucking companies are not looking for black and wet and many office parks are looking for that type of service (in my experience). So even though the trucking company is open for a much longer period of time they will not require the attention the office park will, so the price's will not be the same. Now if they did require the same attention then your price should reflect that. This is where communicating with your customer is very important (particularly in this pricing arrangement) since you will not bill on a per trip or per push basis. In this area per inch pricing in commercial work seems to be the norm and per push is the exception. So the best advice I can give you as far as pricing with this method is know what the customer expects (in writing) and be sure you can provide it. Hope this helps.