1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging by plow size???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sno4U, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

On hourly accounts does anybody charge different rates by plow size? Say a cost per foot of plow.
    Ex: $80/hr for a 8ft blade
    $90/hr.for a 9ft blade
    etc.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Shouldn't it be the other way? If you have a smaller plow it would take longer,so your losing money because you could get more done with a bigger plow and make more money.payup

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Get out of this thread and answer the allegations that have been levied against you in this thread ----> http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=60341 :realmad:

4. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

:confused::confused::confused:

5. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Not really. If you put a smaller plow on the site than your actually making more money. Provided you have the man/woman power to sit on 1 site all nite long w/ a "baby" plow.
    This is the bad thing about this hourly acct. it DOESN"T pay for me to advance my systems and do it more efficiently.payuppayup

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Sounds like hes got a good point! If he had newer better stuff he would lose money

7. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

You got it Ron! So the reason I'm askin is so I can charge different rates for different sizes of equipment. That way I won't hesitate to get big/better/faster stuff.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well if you had a seasonal contract then bigger is better!

9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yes you can!

Sima, puts out a Sheet that has a list of all equipment...

Types of trucks
    Size of plows
    Type of Loader
    Bucket/ Pushebox Size

And what it can do a Hour.

You need to get your hands on this so you can say hey look, Im charging you $40 more a hour but I can do it a hour faster, saving you $150.00 per snow.

10. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Ya I know. But I highly doubt "Corporate" will go for that.
    So we'll just let 'em go their merry way and believe they're getting the best possible deal THIS way.

11. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Yes you should charge more. Lot owners around here don't seem to understand though. You are charging them more, but you can get it done faster. They just want the guy with the lowest price per hour.

12. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Another thing they do not understand is that the driver or operator makes an even bigger difference than plow size in some cases. With a person who has no idea how to plow it can take twice as long to do the same lot as someone who plans out what he is doing and is not plowing the same area 2 or 3 times. I know it doesnt take a genius but I have seen people who have NO idea how to plow snow.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why did you bid a lot by the HR and not by the job or was this requested by your customer?

The only way to make any more $$ is to go slower....

Why would this customer pay you more because you changed the type of equipment that you used he does not care if you used a shovel he just wants his lot cleared.

It kind of sounds like you are an employee and not a contractor.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that.......

Just wondering???

14. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Thats how the previous contractor had it bid, thats how they wanted it from me. Let me tell ya its for the better. They have so many little issues that you'd never make money flat rate/per push. No cooperation from employees to move cars, they had a trash compactor moved so they called me in to dig out ice, roofers dropped snow off roof in front of bay door (duh!), roofers dropped snow against security gate and when they couldn't close it for New years Eve-day shut down-they called me @ 5pm -come quick! Oh, and last year was another good 1, we had 2 days of nice Spring weather so they called and had us move snow from the motorcycle parking out-this was an "approved" area for piling snow, so all the die hard Harley riders could take their chances and ride to work.
    Also they refuse to make an emergency snow parking plan w/ very few areas to move snow to w/o filling very much needed parking spaces.
    All little unanticipated stuff.
    Thats why we run it by the hour-they can call for all the stupid stuff they want but, they can pay for it too!
    Essentially this is a very high maintenance customer. Yes, a seasonal could be written but it would have so many clauses in it that it would be difficult for them to interpret.
    We know the old adage: KISS !! Keep IT Simple Stupid