1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charging a Down payment a good idea?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowGeekJason, Oct 24, 2015.

1. SnowGeekJason

SnowGeekJason Junior Member
    from 48025

Hello, I work in South East Michigan Metro Detroit area and i have an amazing opportunity to Clear 2 huge apartment towers parking lots and sidewalks. Only problem it I do not have the capitol to go a month or so without being paid and for the estimated 8 tons of salt needed per clearing. plus needing another truck to handle the other 5 commercial and 30 residential contracts i have. (Billing at end of month) If the price per clearing is about $8,000 and the trigger is 1in for salt and 2in for plowing is it a bad idea to ask for a down payment of $40,000 or so? Average events range from 10-15 throughout the year .

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you said that to me.I'd shake your hand and say,thank you ,but no thanks,next!

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

IMO if you don't have the startup capital, your not ready yet.

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you can't afford to front all that is required for commercial properties for a minimum of 90 days, you're too small to take on the work. Line of credit, etc is no different than not being able to front it yourself. If you and/or the business do not have the cash on hand to cover all expenses, the job is too big for you to handle.

I'm sure some will disagree on the LOC/CC's but all that does is move the issue down the road if someone doesn't pay or pays too slow. And it screws credit up in the process.

Also, I'd like to see an apartment complex that is 8K per plow/salt.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I've met many landscape and construction contractors that require 25% on signing. There is nothing wrong with asking for it if you're hesitant that they will pay. I've never seen it in the snow industry, and that is where you are competing. If you really want the work you won't ask for it. If you are hesitant then go ahead, what can it hurt.

6. SnowGeekJason

from 48025

Opps ya sorry meant 8 thousand pounds. I do see your point regarding the credit This is our third year in the plow business. Never really taken a loan out besides on the Truck and plow. But yes the Property is fairly large and requires lots of sidewalk clearing more than anything along with 5 loading docks with 4-6 degree grades. With about 450,000 square feet to work with its appartments mixed with a shopping plaza.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Special orders maybe, might try it for salt, but this is where the lines of credit comes in.

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I think you need to do your numbers again on the salt and go from there. Sounds like your stressing over start up. Sounds like a lot of salt for one event. Is this something they want to give you or will there be other bidders?

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Does not sound like your Business is ready for this size of account..

What makes you so sure they are going to pay in 30 days after bill is submitted?

If your bent on getting this account try selling them on a seasonal contract..A fixed amount every month for the winter..

10. SnowGeekJason

from 48025

Not sure if on if there other bidders. Yes I do agree it might be more than i can chew but you gotta start somewhere. To the measurement i took this is what i figured.

11. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Is it 450k of pavement??

12. SnowGeekJason

from 48025

I like the idea about a contract for the season but with a cap. I typically done it with my Residential accounts. They usually pay 100% up front or half. That way i can get revenue early to start off. Typically how i work if the client does not pay with a Month of the invoice date I do not continue to work for them. Of course i get them more than one warning. Agreed My company is somewhat new to snow plowing but not first year.

13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Why can't you get credit from your salt supplier. Go to the bank and take a 90 day note. They know you need working capitol. I used to do that all the time when I started out. This was a long time ago. Hopefully the banks still do that.

14. SnowGeekJason

from 48025

Yes, lots of sidewalks more than anything. There are Two towers and about 18 stories on each tower. So figure there is a lot of parking spaces, sidewalks, and there's a small shopping area as well.

15. SnowGeekJason

from 48025

Trust Me i would love to do that. Only Problem is I'm 19. Only thing building credit right now is Truck and Plow. The company brings in a little less than about $125,000 a year as of now.

16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Don't be scared take the opportunity. If your a hard worker it will work for you. Just do it and don't stop till finished. You will see you can do it. You know you need a back up plan. Meaning someone to cover you in case of a break down etc. I keep extra equipment around just for that reason. You may need someone with a loader for stacking. You can only stack so far with a truck.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with borrowing money or using LOC on something that is going to make you money. We all had to start somewhere. Just make sure you know what your getting into.

18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

True salt supplier giving credit ? Lol

19. 160SR

160SR Junior Member
    from nh

If you walk into a bank with a signed contract for 120K they may front you some money but they're gonna want a slice of the pie.

20. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

If you paid that truck on time as agreed and been paying for a year or two that is enough. Don't you know any private lenders? I backed a son of one of my long time friends. The kid is banging!