1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charge to salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sameakman, Oct 9, 2008.

1. sameakman

sameakman Junior Member

I am new to this forum and appreciate that this question has probably been asked quite a few times, but, I will ask anyway.

I am located in Western Pa about half way between Pittsburgh and Erie. I have been plowing for 4 years. Mostly residential and a couple small complexes. Last year I subcontracted to a large snow removal company. I plowed and salted a very large mall for them, using there backhoes and snow boxes and my skidsteer and two Ford dump trucks to do clean up. I was paid hourly for each of my operators and was supplied all salt for salting- salted 34 times using about 300 tons salt.

Question is: This year I am looking to bid plowing and salting for 5 student apartment complexes. To salt all of these I will use a toatl of 2-3 ton salt. I am able to purchase bulk salt for $135 ton- at least at the beginning of the season. To plow these all these lots I am bidding complex #1-$180-56400sf, #2-$150-47700sf, #3-235-75150sf, #4-$105-32625sf, #5-$65-18450sf for 2-4" and increases at different snowfalls. Is it industry accepted to charge the same to salt as plowing? Any suggestions?

I have read several posts where billing questions are asked and most get no solid answers.
    I have given the information on what I am bidding at and would appreciate helpful answers.

Thank you for your responses and time.

2. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I have always been around 70 percent of the plowing. This year i raised it to 80 percent. The profit on salting is going to be less this year.