1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charge problem Hiniker plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by azandy, Feb 8, 2009.

1. azandy

azandy Member

Am having a problem with our Hiniker V-plow on a 98 chev p.u. In a matter of 10-15 minutes, battery's run dead. light comes on and even kills the truck engine ocassionally. Never did it before. Plow is 10 years old. Ok, on the truck we changed the batterys. 900 CCA ea. Changed the alternator, power cables and power cables to the plow. All tested good except one of the batterys but changed it anyway. On the plow all tested good, but changed the motor, power cable, oil. Even tried Boss oil which appeared to be a little lighter. This truck stays in the shop as it is one of our salt trucks. I called three dealers in WI and no one has a solution for me. I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me with this. I'm lost.

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

does the voltage on the truck guage stay the same even if the plow is not on or does it draw volts? Have you replace the cables between the alt and the batterys? It sounds as though you are not getting volts to the batterys from the alt.

3. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

Agree try putting a 4 gauge wire from the alternator connection on the back too the battery + connectin and that should solve your problem of not charging. Most likely the red wire on the alternator that charges the batteries have a break in it. Recharge your batteries and your all set.

4. azandy

azandy Member

Thanks, I'll try that today. Any other thoughts, I'll also try