1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Charge per hour

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Burkartsplow, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What is the average I should charge per hour to plow with my truck and what is the going rate for sub contractiing with my own truck.I live in cleveland thanks. I also have a question below here on the board about a bid.
  2. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Here in Alaska when you hire subs the going rate is 65.00 per hr and the sub pays for his own fuel. Probelm is that most comanies can't guarantee you a full 8 to 10 hrs. They will send you to a safeway lot and then tell you to call in for your next assignment. Ususally they will have so many subs that they are completely covered so you end up doing just the one gig and if your lucky you may get two. If you plow for the second year they will usually up you to 75 but thats rare. Personally I pay 65 an hr but I will allow them to fill thier truck in my yard before they leave. Also when I have a sub then I am more apt to do call in's. Other then that its 4 hrs at a time because thats what each of my routes take time wise.
  3. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Your truck

What you charge for your truck is entirely up to you but I would not charge less then 125 an hr if your properly insured and bonded. Also always go with your first instinct when it comes to bidding your contracts. Once you have a figure in mind don;t let the client talk you down on price. They will always tell you they can get it done cheaper. Even when you know there full of it. Give your bid then go on your way if they refuse. You would be surprised how often they will call you later on. I find most people seeking bids are still looking when the first snow hits. Then they will call the one that made the best impression on them. I bid a job this year, the Mother Lode Lodge at hatcher pass. I knew I had bid it high but also knew I would be plowing it more often. I gave them references and then left. They called me that night to see if I would match the next closest bid to me and I said no. The next day they called me, gave me thier credit card and I faxed them the contract. Closed deal. So never cut yourself short or leave money on the table.