1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chapped Hands, Cracked Skin

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PetalsandPines, Nov 14, 2003.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

Any of you guys have problems with chapped hands and cracked skin on your fingers during the plow season. I seem to get it bad when I drive with my window open and the heat cranked....Any industrial strength stuff out there that you can leave in your glove box?
  2. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

I know a guy who works outdoors installing audio/video stuff in cars and trucks and he swears by using hand cream every single day, a few times a day. Try it.
  3. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Can't go wrong with the ol' vaseline intensive care. That and some Carmex lip stuff. It's not as bad as concrete on your skin, but I've noticed any contact with salt can dry your skin out in a hurry. Even jsut being close to it while pouring, etc will get the dust affecting you a bit.
  4. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Cracked Skin...

I've had amazing results using regular Chapstick. It ain't just for lips anymore!!! I just goob it on where my skin is cracking (fingers mostly) and let it be. Also works great for small abrasions as well. Stings a bit but works great!!
  5. flatbed

flatbed Member

bag balm works.........kind of greasey....wouldnt want to drive with it on thougth............
  6. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

I useto use Bag Balm, but as was said it is kinda greasy(and you smell like a cow). My girlfriend got me some stuff called Burts bees it is a bees wax hand salve and it works great. See if this link works www.burtsbees.com
  7. flatbed

flatbed Member

hear ya on the smell......the link worked.... haven't seen that in the stores out here.......might be in the health food stores.......

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i use vasoline if my hands are cracked or not lol

i have a repair shop in
    the winter my hand are a mess
    started wear surgical gloves
    not only are they not cracking
    but the actually clean

9. meyer&western

meyer&western Junior Member
    from 45308

take motor oil 20-50 should work let them soak for about 5 min might burn for a min but it works:yow!:

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Being here in buffalo i know what you are talking about. Ask your wife of girlfriend. There are some over the counter stuff thats works ok .If you are really having a problem get some prescription stuff from your doctor and put it on when you hit the bed after a night of plowing and it will soak into your skin .Then you will be ready for the next snowfall..Good luck
  11. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

Hydrolatum is by far the best stuff i've ever used. looks like vasoline, but a little more creamier and less greasy. i bought it at cvs BEHIND the pharmacy counter (no prescription needed) and it was like 6-7 bucks.

i like to apply at least once a day , usually after a shower.
  12. Dan725

Dan725 Junior Member

Try utter cream they use it on cows to keep the nipples from getting chapped. You can now find it in some pharmacies. It sounds weird but works great. Hope this helps
  13. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

Bag balm :coat hands heavy and put cotten gloves on go to sleep .
    Worked for my family for 20 yrs.
    Utter cream works good too. If you don't have bag balm vasiline
    works with the gloves .
  14. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Neosporin, bacitracin, or other injury ointment works great.

You can put it on at night and wake up mostly healed.

My knuckles get dried out and chapped pretty badly all winter. It's from washing my hands a lot, which is a habit I picked up after two years in a row of getting bad colds all winter -- and combined with other measures, it works, I don't spend near as much time sick.

The chapped knuckles are a side effect, but can be mitigated with ointments at night and gloves whenever outside. If you religiously wear gloves whenever you meet fresh air, you won't even need the ointment.
  15. AVERYX

AVERYX Junior Member

shae butter

Very similiar to coco butter........ actually its an ingredient, and its all natural from a tree....... This works, my family owns a hand car wash and the detergent to was the cars has everyones' hands chapped and this is what I use it returns skin to normal