1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing UniMount from 94 Chev. to 2002 Chev.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MikeT1949, Feb 8, 2006.

1. MikeT1949

MikeT1949 Junior Member
    from NE Mi.

I need to change a UniMount with joystick from a 1994 Chevy 1500 silverado to a 2002 1500 silverado. Does anyone know if I need to buy the whole wiring harness kit ? Or can I just buy pig tail adapters for the head lights and use my old harness.
    Mike

2. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

You should be able to buy pigtail adapters or worst case just wire the plow head lights to an incab switch. The wiring for the joystick is the same regardless what truck it is in. Also, you should look into getting a welder to customize your mount rather than buying a new one. I was able to get my mount from a jeep put on my sonoma for $200 (western wanted about $500 for it)
    Ivan

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Do yourself a favor buy a new ultra. You need the mount, complete harness and new headlights to make it work, about 1/2 the price of a new plow if everything is bought from a dealer.

4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

As much as I agree with you in that the ultramount is SO easy to hook up, and that it will be expensive to retrofit the uni if he goes retail, but, if he has a nice unimount it would certainly be worth searching the used market for the parts he needs or having his modified to fit the new truck. With a little work and patience he could probably make the switch for under $500.

-Jer

5. Crash935

if he has the patience and doesnt need to switch right away he can get away with it. I did go back and check and his 9 pin headlights will work so hes just down to the mount and harness, $ is getting better.

Mike, see your north of me, theres a used truck dealer around traverse city that has western parts, let me se if i cant find his # for you, he might have what you need.

6. MikeT1949

MikeT1949 Junior Member
    from NE Mi.

Hi Guys
    Thanks for the info. What a great forum. Just got back from the western dealers in my area. Total price for new parts $621.30--- $111.17 for 63394 harness kit and $475.00 for 63300 mount.
    Next Question is -- what's the difference between a harness kit number 63392 for a straight blade and a harness kit number 63394 for a MVP ?
    Mike

7. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

are you thinking of installing the MVP harness to use for now with your straight blade in anticipation of upgrading to a V plow later?

I don't know if that would work. I'm sure you could MAKE it work but it could be a hassle.

-Jer

8. Crash935

You can wire a truck for a v plow and run a straight or v on that harness just by adding an adaptor and changing controllers. But since your putting this on a 1500, i wouldnt bother wiring for a V, a V would kill this truck.

9. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

You should really look at getting the mount that came with the plow customized to fit your truck. The factory mount for my truck had multiple points were it was bolted together and was 500 bucks, my mount is only bolted at the 4 frame points, is at the exact right hight and only cost me 200 bucks for the welder.

10. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

I just reread my posts, I mean hiring a welding professional, not buying a welder to do it yourself
    Ivan

11. MikeT1949

MikeT1949 Junior Member
    from NE Mi.

Bought the mount number 63300 and part of the harness kit which included enough to wire the head lights. I will be doing this in the next week or so and will let everyone know how it goes and what the exact cost is. After looking at the prints for both mounts it looked almost impossible to convert the old style to the new style. Even the drag links are different.