1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing transmission fluid

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by nsmilligan, Oct 14, 2003.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I ordered a cast deep transmission pan for my 98 2500 V10, and of course installation will require changing the fluid, I think John DiMartino mentioned in an old post about loosening the valve body bolts on the Dodge to allow more fluid to drain out, do Dodge have a torque converter drain plug? Can light air pressure be applied to one of the cooler lines to blow fluid back through the converter and out the trans pump/valve body to remove more old fluid? Haven't played with the internals of an auto to much, any surprises or things to watch out for in adjusting the bands on the Dodge, or simply following the Haynes manual would be OK?

Bill

2. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Bill; while I dont know for sure I'd be willing to bet there is a drian on the converter. My 93 f-250 has one, just turn the crank pully bolt and have somone watch for the plug. I remember a trans guy telling me dodges use a special mopar fluid.

good luck :waving:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Dropping the valve body a hair,and draining the convertor will get 90% of it.I wouldn't go blowing too much air through anything,as it may damage something.

The band adjustments are very easy.The Haynes manual should have everything you need.You will need a torx set for the adjusting screws,and an in\lb torque wrench.

Not sure what specs you have for the bands,but I usually go 72 in\lbs,and then back off 2-2 1/4 turns (a little more than spec) for the front,and 72 in\lbs,and then back off 3 turns for the rear band.

4. nsmilligan

Thanks Chris,

The old girl has a lot of plow time on it, and I have 0 transmission problems so far, but it does tend to overheat unless I use low range in the transfer case, even with a second trans cooler up front. The fluid has been changed every fall, but the extra capacity of the bigger oil pan should help it run cooler. Thanks again for the torque specs.

Bill

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's strange to see it overheating even with a second cooler.Maybe something is restricted ? Mine has 400,000K on the original trans,all hard plowing,and never overheated.

Do you have a properly sized cooler with the larger lines like Dodge uses ?

6. nsmilligan

The truck has 3.5 gears, the fluid flows throught the aftermarket cooler, then thru the rad cooler and then through the Dodge cooler, anything over about 6" and it's low range. I added the second cooler last year, after trying an electric fan in front of the Dodge unit the year before, the second cooler helped about the same as the fan , except the fan would boil the windshield washer fluid bottle dry in about 4 hours of plowing, it was great though for keeping the windshield clean with the hot washer fluid. I think the extra capacity of the deep pan will help a bit more although I don't expect to totally cure it,should have the 4:10 gears.

Bill

7. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

Dodge does not offer a plug in thier torque converters

My ram which is a ram 1500 doesn't offer a plug. Not sure about the heavy duty rams. However, if you're using your truck for plowing, and plowing only. 4.56 gears are the way to go. My ram feels like it has the toque of 4 low but can still get up to speed without over revving the engine.

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

4:56 would be over kill unless you have some oversize tires

or dont do much over the road driving

cardoctor

9. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

im on 40 inch tires

i run 35 inch MTRS for winter
    and 40 inch mickey thompson